All or No Points on Multiple Answer Questions

Currently multiple answer questions give a partial score if students do not choose all the correct answers. Please add a feature that allows faculty to set multiple answer questions to give an all or nothing score if the student does not choose all of the correct answers. Many professional certification exams require this type of scoring and currently our faculty are having to hand grade these questions.
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please refer to How do I create a Multiple Answer question in New Quizzes?

94 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for the update Deactivated user! While we are obviously hoping for sooner rather than later for this functionality, knowing that it should become easier to implement with the quiz refactor (and the initial timeline of the refactor) helps!

mlewis23
Community Champion

So if Canvas is working on this, rather than be archived shouldn't be placed into In Development stage? 

mjennings
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

I agree although I am not sure it technically is in development either. From my understanding the is a meeting every 6months to determine what is going to be the main focus for the following 6months. An overhaul to the quiz tool is on the agenda but from what I have heard there is no guarantee that this will indeed be selected for the next group of items.

This is really sad that such an important tool is getting so little love. The feature request was in the old community for over 2-3 year if I remember correctly and as soon as we get to the new community & have a chance to vote this gets archived to the side.

Please hear us Canvas, we want this!

Matthew

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the brevity, typos & lack of nuance.

bdubins
Community Novice

This is an absolute necessity for the health profession fields.  As an instructional designer, it is also an important option for just about any subject.  I hope this feature is instituted as soon as possible!

Bobbi

ejackson
Community Champion

I just today got a request from one of our Nursing instructors about helping her with new question banks for her new textbook edition. And, again she is extremely unhappy about not having this feature for "All or nothing" grading for Multiple Answer questions, and the fact that students ABSOLUTELY NEED these to prepare for the NCLEX exam. This is an extremely important feature for Nursing instructors and students! The NCLEX exam is difficult enough without having our students at a disadvantage by not being able to fully prepare for what an NCLEX will show them.

wbrewer
Community Novice

This feature is essential to any nursing school and quite frankly, I am shocked it is not offered in Canvas. As a new canvas user, it is frustrating that this option is not available. Other LMS's are able to provide this. For all the nursing schools, please make this a "top priority".

mkamp
Community Novice

Last year I asked for greater instructor control in scoring multiple answer quizzes. I want quite a different thing than the all or nothing option: I want to be able to award one point for each correct choice (whether that means choosing that one of the answers is a right answer, or for NOT selecting those answers that are wrong answers). But in either case, there ought to be a way that the instructor can choose how to allocate point on a multiple answer question. We should not have to conform our testing methods to your (irrational) system. There should instead be a page in the settings where we can make these choices for ourselves.

u0985047
Community Novice

Has this feature been implemented?? I actually do want to give partial credit for a Multiple Answer question (e.g. half credit if they get 1 out of the 2 correct answers). But for some reason when I run the quiz preview it only gives full credit/points if both correct answers are given; if only one correct answer is given, then 0 points are given. Any ideas?

obrienja
Community Member

I'm in non-credit adult education in university Extension, and an all or none feature is essential. Certain concepts that have multiple parts most definitely need to be scored as all or none, otherwise, the student is getting mixed message feedback.

mcclarens
Community Explorer

What is the status of this feature?