[Analytics] New Admin Analytics Data Download not intuitive

Problem statement:

Support suggested I post here instead: When downloading data, the spreadsheets are truncated to the screen display.

For example looking at students with a B average, there should be 2525 entries. When you download the data file, you get a file with only 500 . It explicitly says when you look at this data that the on-screen limit is reached, and to download the data - "Row limit reached. Results may be incomplete. Download results to see more" - but this does not work by just pressing the download button and there are no further instructions. It seems one need to go Advanced Data Options and set a higher rows to include limit, which is not intuitive. I'll add I've never got more than 5000 rows to download. Even when I know there is more and set row limit higher.

Also I get this in the downloaded sheet when I up the limit to encompass the needed number of rows (20,000) SQL Error: ERROR: Invalid protocol sequence 'P' while in PortalSuspended state.

Proposed solution:

The data download button should, by default, give you all the data you are looking at for any given area (all students with a B, or all unpublished courses). You should not need to define the number of rows you want to download above 500. Asking for 20,000 rows should not throw errors.

User role(s):

admin

Added to Theme

3 Comments
DavidSchlater
Community Participant
Author

It does not seem like the 5000 row limit has been fixed yet. I've mentioned it to support as well to find out if they are tracking it as a bug. The reports with over 5000 rows of data are useless until this is fixed and we can get all the data downloaded.

DavidSchlater
Community Participant
Author

Canvas Support says 5000 rows is a limit and we can't get more rows and this is not a bug -  needs an idea submitted. My idea is allow us to get all the data for any given report, 35,000 rows if that is what it is, or more. As it stand now I can't get a full semester of student data..... If the load it too big to do in real-time, send the csv as email later, or have it work like other Canvas reports where it processes and then can be downloaded from the page later.

Dalma_Schnell
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Thank you for sharing your idea! We reviewed your contribution and the Product Team feels that it aligns well with our existing theme 'Filter or manipulate data in a new or different way'. Please subscribe to that theme to receive updates.