Annotation notifications

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-21).

I am an instructor in Canvas, but recently took a course in Canvas. That is when I realized that Canvas generates a new email for each annotation that is made on an assignment. This would be fine except when you consider the volume of annotations that are made on 6 or 7 page writing assignments, I know that sometimes I make over 20 annotations and getting an email for each one of these would be frustrating to say the least.  I would suggest modifying the emails associated with annotation comments to decrease the notifications. I think students become jaded to the notifications because of the volume of notifications and then they miss important information (think of the boy who cried wolf). I have looked at my notifications settings and I was not able to find how to turn annotation notifications off. 

14 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Canvas code has been updated to disable notifications for annotations created during a student annotation submission. For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-21).

KateBun
Community Member

Hello! On 8-21-21, there was a comment saying the student annotation submission was fixed but it is Sept 2022 and I'm still getting 100 emails every time a student makes an annotation on assignment. Are there instructions on how to disable this without disabling all student submission comments?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed