[Assignment] Clearer Marking of Group Assignments

Problem statement:

Currently, group assignments are not marked as group assignments in any way, and they do not appear in the group workspace or as a group to-do in the group calendar. The first time students see that it is a group assignment is when they click into the assignment. This has caused a lot of confusion and has led to some assignments not being created as group assignments at all because even teachers could not tell if it was a group assignment or not.

Proposed solution:

If a assignment is assigned to a group, this should be clearly indicated in the icon/title caption, e.g: Essay [👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 Group Assignment]. This label should appear wherever the group assignment itself appears, such as course links, to-do lists, and the calendar. The group should also be able to see and access the group assignment in their group workspace. The assignment should appear in the group calendar. This is the only way to ensure that groups actually pay attention to the assignments they are given. As an added benefit, everyone else in the course would also quickly see what type of assignment it is.

I assume that a assignment is usually designed to be either an individual or a group assignment, and less likely to be a mixed assignment where both individuals and groups are assigned together. Since this is more likely to be the exception, the rule could apply if at least one group is assigned to a assignment.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @DeteesWuber - 

A couple of weeks ago, you submitted [Assignments] Icon in Title for Group Assignments, and I'm wondering if these two threads can be merged. Thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

DeteesWuber
Community Explorer
Author

Oh gosh, of course.... I must have lost track. The latter idea is a bit more detailed so I would suggest to maybe delete [Assignments] Icon in Title for Group Assignments, ? Can I do it?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New