[Assignments] Add Ability to Hide an Individual Student's Grade to Allow Re-Submission

Problem statement:

Recently, I gave a student a 0 on an assignment. After I graded all the student's submissions, I released all the grades (I use the Manual Grading policy). I permitted the student to resubmit the assignment. The student did. I started grading it in Speedgrader. I added annotations to the assignment. I did not finish; I got interrupted by an appointment. A couple hours later, the student submitted another version of it based on the comments I added to the first re-submission, even though I had not given it a grade through the rubric I use, had not saved the rubric grade. So, the student gained an advantage over the other students by being able to revise the re-submitted assignment before I finished grading it.

Proposed solution:

Therefore, there needs to be a way to hide an individual student's grade when they are allowed to re-submit. I should not have to re-hide ALL all the grades on that assignment for the whole class. That's ludicrous. The other students need to see their grades and my comments to assist them with their next assignment. That's the "why."

User role(s):

instructor

1 Comment
MPioRoda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production. The Product Team reviewed some of our feature proposals recently and, unfortunately, this request was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans.

We can see how it would add functionality to be able to hide individual student grades for this type of situation to avoid having the student inadvertently see written comments, however there are other instructors who would like for students to see comments in order to help them on their next attempts. The workflow we currently suggest is to use the Manual Posting Policy and to post grades after all assignment grades have been entered.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!