[Assignments] Allow Multiple Submission Types on the Same Assignment

Originally submitted by Sara Wolf

Currently, instructors can choose to allow a variety of formats for assignment submission. However, when the student submits, only one type can be used, unless the student elects to resubmit the assignment. Even so, if the student resubmits the assignment, the student can no longer see his or her first submission. So, if they make a mistake, they aren't sure what need to be fixed, because they can't see what they originally submitted.

It would be helpful to have students be able to submit a file type (graphic, or URL, or word document, for example) and then be able to also use the text box feature, in the same submission, to "tell about" their assignment. Ideally, the instructor would be able to see both submission types in the SpeedGrader in a single submission, and similarly, students would be able to see both submission types in their assignment submission interface. For instance, if students have to create an image of a floor plan for a future classroom, and then provide an "annotation" of that floor plan that describes how it illustrates their teaching philosophy, having the image be visible to the teacher at the same time as the annotation would be ideal. Another example would be an assignment that requires a link to a video url and accompanying text. If the students could submit the URL to the video and fill in a text box at the same time, they would be able to take advantage of the rich content functionality in the text box submission type (that is not available to them in the assignment comments area), and teachers would be able to evaluate the link to the video and the accompanying text simultaneously in the SpeedGrader.

Added to Theme

111 Comments
millerjm
Community Champion

I just had a student who called because he uploaded a word doc as well as text for THREE ASSIGNMENTS and of course, it completely threw out the text and he got a zero (the word doc and text box entry were different parts of the same assignment). 

It looked like several other students had similar problems but perhaps lost their attachment instead.  Some students seem to have either included two word docs or a single word doc with both parts of the assignment.  Luckily the student thought to call us, and I was aware of this issue, and the instructor is willing to work with the student.  I'm sure there have been many others across the many Canvas institutions who were not so lucky.  

This is troubling because how many times do instructors not believe students who say that they turned in an assignment when there is no proof of the content?  Since there not to be any warning to students or to instructors there is no way that either would be aware of this issue.  

This feature request was brought over from the old Canvas community so we have been waiting over 3.5 years for a change to be made.  I see that there will be some possible work on this in Q1 2019. Hopefully this work will improve this functionality.  I wanted to put this example in there so that the developers and project manager can see how vital this is for our students and instructors.  

dperpich
Community Participant

Thanks for keeping the heat on this feature request, Joni.  We've seen a number of awkward workarounds over the last 3.5 years.  Some of them have been quite clumsy -- create two Assignments, one for the textual description and the other for the attachment!; submit a URL to a Drive folder with multiple files (but without properly accounting for permissions!).  Lost on the cutting room floor are the inherent flexibility of Canvas and the deep thinking that some instructors put into designing assignments for complex responses.... and that's when it isn't all just written as if the system somehow inadvertently losting their work (Unreliable!) or the student trying to pull one over on the instructor (Unethical!).

jessica_fife
Community Member

The feature of multiple submission types would also be helpful when allowing students choice on demonstration of learning; such as an embedded Flipgrid (external tool), audio file (online) or written (online or on paper).  

agnirm
Community Novice

Well, I wish I knew that it was impossible for students to submit BOTH an upload of an image AND a text submission of their defense of their image choices. This has really messed up my grading of several assignments, since I cannot seem to see both submissions for any of my students. Unless I'm missing something. Canvas has been quite frustrating to use.

jathomps
Community Member

I am starting to teach fully online public speaking and i would like my students to be able to upload recorded video of speeches as well as a copy of a typed speaking outline and works cited page. This feature would hopefully allow for that and would really help.

tallen3
Community Novice

I also think Canvas should allow students to submit online OR on paper. On many assignments they give I don't care how they turn it in, I just want them to turn it in. I don't like that if I open it up to be submitted online, it automatically marks it as 'missing' for the students who turned it in on paper. Even if I've already given them a grade for the paper assignment. 

li_ye1
Community Novice

For the language classroom, very often, we need students to submit image and writing at the same time. So far, students are not able to do that in the assignments. 

adamwarecx
Instructure
Instructure
petern
Community Contributor

Agreed. It’s been suggested before but has few votes https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5610 

mmaline
Community Novice

This is a really important feature to have. I teach ESL students with varying levels of technical skills. Some students email me their homework. I can grade the assignment in Canvas, but in their grades it shows that the assignment is missing. I wish that could be fixed.