[Assignments] Allow Multiple Submission Types on the Same Assignment

Originally submitted by Sara Wolf

Currently, instructors can choose to allow a variety of formats for assignment submission. However, when the student submits, only one type can be used, unless the student elects to resubmit the assignment. Even so, if the student resubmits the assignment, the student can no longer see his or her first submission. So, if they make a mistake, they aren't sure what need to be fixed, because they can't see what they originally submitted.

It would be helpful to have students be able to submit a file type (graphic, or URL, or word document, for example) and then be able to also use the text box feature, in the same submission, to "tell about" their assignment. Ideally, the instructor would be able to see both submission types in the SpeedGrader in a single submission, and similarly, students would be able to see both submission types in their assignment submission interface. For instance, if students have to create an image of a floor plan for a future classroom, and then provide an "annotation" of that floor plan that describes how it illustrates their teaching philosophy, having the image be visible to the teacher at the same time as the annotation would be ideal. Another example would be an assignment that requires a link to a video url and accompanying text. If the students could submit the URL to the video and fill in a text box at the same time, they would be able to take advantage of the rich content functionality in the text box submission type (that is not available to them in the assignment comments area), and teachers would be able to evaluate the link to the video and the accompanying text simultaneously in the SpeedGrader.

Added to Theme

111 Comments
melissa_buchana
Community Member

I am very dishearatened by the fact that this question was initially posed back in 2015, and although there are a hundred comments on just this thread alone, over the course of SIX years, this very simple request has not been actualized. How hard can it be to allow both "on paper" and "online"  OR allow an entered score of more than zero to automatically dismiss the missing status, OR add a button or checkbox that shuts off the "missing" status for a student's assignment if the teacher deems it appropriate.  Skyward allows teachers to click or unclick the missing box.   If it has been solved already, I can't find it and I have been a steasfast canvas user for several years.

olsons1
Community Explorer

To help support all students and learning preferences, it would be wonderful to allow an "on paper" submission option when creating an online submission type. Students could check that they submitted on paper and still have the missing/late tags auto-generate. Our current workaround is using a textbox submission and noting they turned it on paper, but this might support students who are quickly indicating how they submitted.

ShawnaFailner
Community Member

I'd like to have multiple submission options for an assignment, such as one with Kami and one with nearpod. Allow multiple assignment options for multiple external tool assignments.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

SusannahSpencer
Community Novice

For assignment settings where teachers choose submission types, can both on paper and online submissions be enabled? When I grade paper assignments it still says they are missing for students once the due date is passed, even if they have a score. It would be nice to have the option to mark it as both so that once a score is entered it is not missing. 

AlexisDea
Community Novice

I have hybrid environment for my course. At times, half of the students are remote while the other half are in person. This is for a lab Cosmetology course so the in-person students are graded real-time in the classroom while remote students submit photos of their work and graded by their photos submissions. would love to have an option to assign the remote students to submit photos online while in-person students do not need to submit online. The options for assignments now are to change options from 'nothing to submit' to 'submit via online, text entry, etc.'

rojask
Community Explorer

I agree that allowing students to submit in multiple ways would be useful in terms of adding flexibility to how students respond to assignments.

holimoch
Community Explorer

After 7 years, this issue still hasn't been solved, eh?

My colleagues want their students to have the ability to submit a file and a Studio video for one assignment.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme