[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
willist
Community Novice

This is a fantastic idea.  Canvas, PLEASE implement this!  I teach 3rd grade.  When a student submits a picture of their work to my email instead of through Canvas, for ease and convenience I need the option to upload it for the student.

cmhanks
Community Novice

This would be super helpful. There are times I just need to submit something for a kid when the tech isn't working right, but I still want all the assignments in one place. 

jasonappel
Community Explorer

Yes please!

limbriae
Community Member

Please add this feature. Five years of teachers asking for this seems like it is well overdue!

bratcliffe
Community Member

Further to the discussion so far, if Canvas need another justification for doing this, the subjects that still allow a paper portfolio (think art, woodworking, metalwork, drama, media etc.), would love to be able to upload scanned and annotated versions.

tami_shilling
Community Member

I don't know if this idea is still alive, but I would like to vote YES, YES, YES! Please allow an option for teachers to submit work on behalf of students.

aag633
Community Novice

Please make this possible. Such a headache for short-term courses where learning the skill themselves is less valuable to the student. 

afitz
Community Novice

This is FIVE YEARS OLD now. How is this still not a thing???

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

Is anyone from Canvas even looking at this conversation?  Some sign of life would be nice...

vvillam1
Community Member

Yes, I would also love to see this. I have students emailing me assignments often, and I would really like to be able to add it in Canvas to have everything filed there. Especially now, with the online part of the school, it is something that I would really love to have. I will possibly use Canvas on the near future for ALL assignments, it would be nice to be able to have it