[Attendance] Feature overhaul

Problem statement:

The attendance tool is just terrible. I want it to excuse a number of absences and then apply point deductions after that. I want it to show a grid with dates of attendance for each student, not just total of present and absent. I want to have it show codes for numbers present, absent, late, and excused. I want the CSV to download in a usable form, with all student names and IDs in the far left column, and then columns for each class day, showing present, absent, late, excused. I want a convenient way to find last date of attendance.

Proposed solution:

1. Excuse a number of absences and then apply point deductions after that. Many professors use this standard, but there is no way to do this in Canvas. I had to do it manually at the end of the term--and even then, the interface doesn't show how many absences were excused.... 2. In Canvas, attendance should a grid with dates of attendance for each student, not just total of present and absent. I want to have it show codes for numbers present, absent, late, and excused. It should look just like the grade book--student names at left, class dates in every column to the right, display of present, absent, late, excused, totals for each of these in the final four rows of the attendance book. 3. The CSV download should look just like number 2 above. It currently downloads in an unusable form. One term, I downloaded and reorganized the CSV for each of my five classes--a lot of unnecessary and complicated work, just to have it show like the paper and pen gradebooks that professors have been using since who knows when? The 19th century? 4. The attendance should conveniently show last date of attendance. We have to report the last date for students who fail or who receive an incomplete.

User role(s):

instructor

1 Comment
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Hi @peter_concannon -

Thank you for taking the time to request these updates to Roll Call. Some of these ideas have been shared in other threads, which is great! You'll find that they're Added to Theme and part of the Product Team's projects.

[Attendance] Readable CSV Attendance Output 

[Attendance] Making Attendance Downloads a little less noisy 

[Attendance] show all dates for each student without report 

Please separate the remaining ideas into independent threads to better assist the Product Team plan projects. This helps the Product Managers as they move through their discovery process, and it helps our Documentation Team as they attach the ideas to Releases. Thank you for your help!

What are the guidelines for submitting a new idea?