[Calendar] Cross Out A Completed Event In Your Own Calendar

As a student, instructors can add assignments to the calendar so that we can see. Once we complete the assignment, the assignment title on the calendar can be crossed out. It would be helpful to have the ability to cross out calendar events that we create, so that we know we completed an assignment that the instructors didn't add themselves. We can delete our own events, but I will forget if I did the assignment or I forgot to add it to the calendar.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

44 Comments
kjones29
Community Member

Just suggested this as well!! It would be super helpful for the tasks I create since some of my teachers don't utilize the calendar the way that I would like. 🙂

Skhan793
Community Member

There should be an option where students can cross out assignments THEY added to the calendar. Assignments teachers assign already gets crossed out when done but Ones that students add is not crossible. Please add this feature.

Cmcmillan
Community Member

With the ever-increasing switch to online Zoom courses, the calendar for student view is no longer a viable option to keep track of due dates for assignments. As of now, the calendar is clogged with zoom meeting times, irrelevant events, and office hours. 

For most students, this distracts from due dates, so adding a functionality to "cross-off", "hide", or "complete" certain events would be a boon to many who need to be able to actually manage their time and keep track of what needs to be done in their courses. 

AdiMenon
Community Novice

THIS IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA

ADC123
Community Member

A manual check-off/strike out feature for all assignments would be incredibly beneficial for student organization. I constantly have to double check if things have been completed, because only submission of *assignments by canvas* automatically strike-out on the calendar.

Items that don't do this/would be useful:

Extra calendar events from professors and groups (such as work shops or study halls)

Completing reading assignments

Submission of chapter - homework assignments in linked programs like MathLab

Student-created tasks, assignments, to-dos on their own calendar. (Example: Teacher's calendar populates one assignment for discussion post. However, it is two assignments as responses are required days later. I create a new assignment in my calendar to insure I complete, but am not able to strike it out myself.) A manual "DONE" button that performs this rule would be a life saver.

JoeyJ
Community Novice

I hope they add this feature soon, because every single comment here is so true. It's such a struggle

digerob1
Community Novice

since many others are also having this issue, I thought I'd share a temporary solution: when this issue persisted, I ended up printing out the canvas calendar page and crossing it out on paper to work around the lack of a built-in web feature. i even used highlighters to mimic the color-coding aspect as well. this method is obviously not without faults, as I'd also have to hand-write any new assignments that were added after the fact or just reprint it entirely, but it still may be helpful for some of you! 😀👍

Hello7
Community Novice

I am a student who likes to have a clean calendar, so I delete events and to-dos after they've been completed. I would like to have the ability to also delete events and assignments for current classes. For example, my professor has every single class on the calendar. I don't find this necessary and would like to delete it. Even just having the ability to only delete past events/assignments would be nice.

Thank you

peejaypel
Community Member

Some professors give numerous activities but require only a portion of it.

For instance, Prof. Bob gives 10 chances to write articles but requires only 5 of it. Bob then deploys assignments in the order

- Essay 1: The Meaning of Life
- Essay 2: Is life meaningful?

If I, a student, submit essays 1-5, I do not need to submit the rest. These essays now have strikethrough on the calendar, but essays 6-10 does not (since I have no submission), and it confuses me and my classes as to what requirements shall still be done.

We request a feature to manually mark activities DONE or OPTIONAL that will add the strikethrough on calendar. Or any other feature that would accurately visualize what deadlines we need to work on.

Furthermore, Bob also creates an assignment with no submission, but only has the option of ticking Mark as Done (I believe this was used as an option to remind students about filling up an external form). However, clicking Mark as Done does not add the strikethrough on the calendar.

AlexaWinkler
Community Novice

You should be able to mark assignments as completed or be able to "cross them off" in the calendar tab. Many assignments are either submitted through outside of canvas but the instructor gives it a due date in canvas as a reminder, or there is no further action needed to be taken but it has a calendar due date, or assignments are optional or only pertain to certain students. There should be a feature to check off specific assignments in the calendar so it looks completed and I don't stress out over having to do work that I don't need to do or already did because it looks like an assignment on the calendar.