Canvas Teacher App: Push Notification Support

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

TL;DR: The Canvas Teacher app should support the same notifications that the current Canvas Mobile (Student) app offers.

The Canvas Teacher app doesn't offer any push notifications for users of the app (mostly teachers). It would helpful if teachers using this app could receive and interact with notifications offered by the web and other Canvas mobile apps. This could lessen, or eliminate the reliance on notifications through email or the Canvas Mobile (Student) app. 

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.4) .

8 Comments
eduplessis
Community Novice

In place of SMS push notifications for Inbox conversations, I would like notifications to be delivered directly by the Teacher App so that I can reply directly using the app. Currently, it takes 4 taps to (1) open an SMS notification, (2) tap on a link within the SMS content, which takes me to the Canvas Mobile App dashboard, (3) tap on the Inbox, and (4) tap on the individual conversation to open/read/reply.

Also, the SMS app I use for Android gives the false impression that I am able to reply directly to the push notification. That is, it allows me to click reply to a Canvas notification for a Conversation and send a response. But, of course, the other party never receives my response.

Some of our instructors are using other apps to communicate with students, such as Remind.  

See my Idea about this issue: Reply to text (SMS) message notifications for Conversations.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone! Have you seen?! https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14190 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.4) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@rseilham  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @eduplessis  Thank You &  @KristinL  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! 

smithr2
Community Participant

Is this supported on Android? I can't find anything about it.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @smithr2 ‌ -- Canvas Teacher Release Notes (Android 1.4)‌ outlines the update.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed