[Commons] Ability to Manage Commons Users

This is a small issue but currently there is no ability to manage users in Commons.  You would think that Commons would match your users in your Canvas instance but users created in error (such as a misspelled name) can live on in Commons even though they do not exist anywhere in Canvas itself.  When you go to create groups in Commons, these non-existent users show up in the search results and if you are not paying close enough attention (or don't know any better), you can select the wrong one which will not work.  I am told that even Canvas support has no way to delete these users either.

Example: For the very first group I created, the very first user I needed to add, who would become the manger of the group, name was "Allison".  Apparently at some point we had created an account for her in Canvas with the name "Alison" (missing one of the "l"s). Although I can find no evidence of the second Allison anywhere in Canvas, two show in Commons, both with the exact same info other than the typo in the first name.  I originally just picked the first one and had her test not noticing the spelling difference (I assumed the email address was more important and was only looking at that).  Nothing was working for her so I thought I setup the group wrong and started re-reading all the documentation.  I then went back and noticed that the Allison I picked was spelled wrong and picked the correctly spelled one and then everything worked.  I want to avoid these issues for others that might be adding members to groups and am told there is currently no way to sync or clean up any users in Commons.  Can there either be a way to manage users, a way to sync users between your Canvas instance and Commons, a way to ensure if there is no longer a user in Canvas that they do not show in Commons, or if a change is made to a user in Canvas that this does not create a second user?

Added to Theme

Sync user data across all flows Theme Status: Identified

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL