[Discussions] Download discussion board posts

We would like to be able to download all of the discussion board posts from our course this semester for faculty analysis. We would also like students to be able to download and/or view all of their posts to review at the end of the semester in one place. This would create a type of e-portfolio for each student based on their work during the semester.

Added to Theme

85 Comments
JohnWenz
Community Member

Very important to be able to download discussion posts.  I set up each student on my clinical DVM rotation in a separate group where I ask the to reflect on the day's activities, what they learned and the value delivered.  A system function to easily download these entries to amass evidence of the value delivered by the rotation would be GREAT!

JanineMcBee
Community Member

I am currently reviewing 208 posts in a discussion. It would be both efficient and beneficial for course improvement to be able to quickly review comments quickly.

bimbip
Community Participant

I was looking at the current phase of the Discussions redesign and, as the Feature Option exists today, it seems to make downloading (copy/paste/reformat or print to PDF) discussions even more difficult. The roadmap does not clearly state whether printing options will ultimately be part of the redesign, but I wanted to bring attention to this with the hope that it does not take a step backwards in this regard. Thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

jmessing
Community Participant
Problem statement:

As a long time designer of Canvas courses for both the undergraduate and graduate online courses I teach, my students and I have a strong desire to be able to download the Discussion Posts as a record of our writing.

Proposed solution:

Please add the option to download individual discussion posts to .docx files. Students should be able to download their own posts as .docx files and we instructors should be able to download both our own individual discussion contributions, and each discussion post on a topic for a course. Many instructors have students write a lot and access to this writing during and at the end of a course would be game changing. We could each refer to the work that we produced. As an instructor it would aid in updating the course the next time it is taught, and, support ideas for new courses based on previous discussion in these discussion threads.

User role(s):

instructor,designer