Federated Attributes for Microsoft Account Login

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Add the ability to pull information from the Microsoft Authentication provider to populate information on the user's profile from Microsoft account with JIT-Provisioning.

Some attributes that could be pulled would be:

• First Name
  • Last Name
  • Email address

It would be really great if the attributes could be configured via the GUI as well, with the ability to add additional custom attributes.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-29)

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@mhspico ​

First, I don't want to call you out, but are you a genuine Canvas user?  Per our What are the Canvas Community guidelines?​ you are required to "be you", which means a real person with a real user profile. 

Second, are you using Canvas for a school that uses Microsoft Authentication?  If so, have you talked with your CSM to see what authentication integrations are available?

Would love to help, just need further information so that we can guide you in the right direction.

mhspico
Community Novice
Author

Yes, I'm a real canvas user. Our institution uses Canvas Open Source, and we have looked at the various authentication options.

The idea was that the Microsoft login provider be extended to allow it to pull user account attributes such as first and last name from Microsoft. Our institution has people logging in from multiple different Microsoft domains (some using institution Azure AD logins, others logging in from different Azure AD domains), so the ability to do federated attributes with Microsoft makes sense to us, since we could use it to do JIT provisioning from the attributes pulled from the Microsoft Auth provider.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@mhspico ​

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

SSO, authentication, is not something that we support for open source or free-for-teachers Canvas at this time, and we do not have plans to develop for it.  You may want to post your question to the community?

I did find SAML/SSO Authentication​, however the community was not able to help with an answer.   It may be worth reaching out to the author to see if you are seeking a similar solution?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-10-17)

Would you like to discuss this release with other enthusiastic Canvas Admins?  Join the Beta Release Asynchronous Collaborative Chat

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@mhspico ​

I am going to mark this idea as 'in beta' at this point, but I need to do some further checking to make sure it will work with free-for-teachers.  What a great surprise if this in-fact meets your needs!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-10-29)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @mhspico  for submitting this idea. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed