[Gradebook] Give us the option to Remove "Missing Status" label after entering a Default Grade

Idea is currently in development

Problem statement:

When entering a Default Grade for students in the Gradebook, the Missing label remains. A teacher trying to use the Default Grade still has to manually remove the missing label.

Teacher's Example: I have almost 150 students. Most show me their homework daily and I put in 0 for the few who do not submit and then 10/10 default for all those students who show me in class. My policy is that students submit any late work to canvas by the "open until" window closes at the time of the unit test and I grade all that late work for full credit on the day of that in class test. The problem is that I publish the assignment as an "online" submission so that late work can be uploaded and thus easily accommodated. However, for all the kids showing me their paper copies in their notebooks at the beginning of class, since they didn't have an online submission, even though they have a 10/10 recorded in canvas the grade shows up as "10/10 missing" in canvas. The grade also shows up as "10 mi" in synergy when I do the passback. Is there any way to turn off the automatic "mi" if the due date passes but a non-zero grade has already been assigned?

What we tried: We looked at Jodi's video "Release Screencast: 2022-01-15 Grading Missing Status Removal"  At minute 2:50 you can see that when you enter a Default Score, the missing label remains. There isn't an option to ask for the missing label to be removed.

Proposed solution:

When entering a Default Grade for students via the Gradebook, you get an option for "Overwrite already-entered grades" that you can check, or leave unchecked. We would like that you also have an checkbox for "Remove Missing Status" See video at 2:50 to see that the missing status remains: Release Screencast 2022-01-15 Grading Missing Status Removal

User role(s):

admin,instructor

1 Comment
RaviKoll
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: In Development