[Gradebook] New Gradebook Keyboard Shortcuts for Assignment Statuses

In the New Gradebook, I can type EX to automatically get the Excused status applied to a student's grade for an assignment. I would love to see that functionality extended to the Missing and Late statuses as well. 

EX = Excused, M and L don't work.EX = Excused, M and L don't work.

Additionally, especially with external tools, it would be nice to have a T (Turned In) status to indicate what assignments have been submitted but not graded yet. This would be helpful for parents at the K-12 level. 

22 Comments
JodiKennedy
Community Novice

This would be a great feature that would save a lot of time.

NatalieYoungber
Community Novice

This would save so much time. I would love a shortcut to remove missing status too.

TaylorVB
Community Member

This would save so much time in my grading. Please implement this option. 

shjones1
Community Novice

Yes please add this feature please.  It takes too many clicks to mark an assignment missing.  It would be great to be able to type an m and then enter to go to the next students grade.  

RachelKlick
Community Member

Yes please! This would be a HUGE time saver for teachers.

KelseySmith
Community Novice

There should be a shortcut to marking assignments in Grades as "missing" or "excused". For example, you should be able to just type an "M" instead of a score, and it will mark it as missing. Or an "E" for excused.  The current method of clicking to open the menu on the right, selecting which one you want, and then moving to the next student is too time-consuming. 

jocelyn_white
Community Explorer

Please work on improving this.  We need a keyboard shortcut for "missing".  There is one for "excused" -- why can't you please add one for Missing?  This would save us SO MUCH TIME.  The current method is way too time consuming and frustrating!!!

KeriGray
Community Member

This feature would save teachers a lot of time. Please consider adding the codes for Missing and Late.

gekopik
Community Participant

I'll add to the chorus of "YES!" and also request that there be a way to exempt certain assignments from these labels!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

With the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-01-04), the Missing status has a shortcut in the Gradebook. While this addition does not completely fulfill the request included in this idea, it's exciting news we wanted to share with those who rated or commented on the thread.