Grading period weights

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. June 3, 2015 - Wed. September 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I noticed grading periods was an upcoming feature in Canvas. Playing around with the feature in the beta release, I did not see any way that weights could be added to the grading periods. For example, in our school district, quarter 1 is worth 37.5% of the grade, quarter 2 is worth 37.5% of the grade and the final exam is worth 25% of the grade.

This is not a huge deal for us; we can work around it. But I imagine there may be other school districts that need the ability to weight the grading periods when issuing the final grade for the full year.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-04-01) 

11 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for adding your feature idea  @caldwell ​ 😉

Feel free to also head over to the details on this new beta feature if you have advice that may be valuable for us to consider as we are developing a feature - Canvas Studio: Multiple grading periods

jschurrer
Community Novice

Any updates on this feature request?  it's been quite a while since the June 10th update.

jvincent
Community Participant

Are there any updates on this?  We are well past the projected release time.

applem
Community Contributor

Any updates on this feature?

afreemont
Community Novice

Our school uses powerschool and whatever sections we have in canvas will transfer over to the proper subject weight (assignments, assessments, homework, etc) and I think it would be helpful to also weigh the quarters and final exam. We can already create grading periods, but this extra feature would really ensure students are seeing the same grade in the canvas course as well as their powerschool grade.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-03-20) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-04-01) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@caldwell  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @jschurrer  Thank You ,  @jvincent  Thank You  ,  @applem  Thank You   &  @afreemont  Thank You your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme