Hide Assignment Group Totals from Students

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Instructors would like the ability to hide the automatically-created assignment group totals from students.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09) 

Grades

Hide Assignment Group Totals with Final Grade

38 Comments
cpadavano
Community Contributor

Hi, I would like to reopen this because I can see that ALL group/total column scores disappear for the student. However, it would be great to ONLY remove the Assignment Group scores, and KEEP the TOTAL column. The most important thing for a student to see is their end score, not so much the groups, especially if the default Assignment Group sits with no purpose. There should be a way to hide that from students to avoid confusion.

Thank you,

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, cpadavano‌, if you would like to see that specific aspect of the feature move forward for consideration, please submit it as a new idea (How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌). Thanks!

cpadavano
Community Contributor

stefaniesanders‌ So the development they did on this, is not a mistake? I kind of think the way this person requested this feature was not built correctly... A new feature idea would need to be requested to get this fixed correctly? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

cpadavano‌, the feature enhancement fulfills the request—and more. Please know that our developers gather insights from many sources, not limited to the description in a feature idea, before making a change to a feature. 

So yes, if one desires the ability to hide only the assignment group column totals while preserving visibility of the final score column, that would need to be the subject of a new feature idea. I was able to find this one currently open for voting: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13173-assignment-column-in-grades 

cpadavano
Community Contributor

stefaniesanders Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering about the development since it did appear different to what the person had written. Also, thank you for finding that! I have up-voted it and shared it within my institution. Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed