Missing Assignment Tag in Gradebook

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In other  Gradebooks, we have been able to enter an "M" is a student hadn't submitted an assignment.  It would read the grade as a zero.  This is similar the EX feature you already have in Canvas.  I know in the individual view I can changed all Ungraded homework to read as a zero but this isn't practical if I don't grade the homework the same day it is submitted.  My teachers only enter a zero if student was present and that's grade they earned.  If they are absent, etc an M is a great way to distinguish they are still allowed to turn in the assignment but still affects their overall grade if it isn't turned in.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06) .

:smileyinfo: We recognize that the specifically requested "M" was not implemented.  M, like EX, is not a standard symbol globally, so the feature was intentionally designed without it. EX was already in place and the decision was made not to remove it.  We do not plan to add any additional non-standard symbols.  EX actually causes a lot of confusion and problems for our international users 😞

77 Comments
tmoore8
Community Member

Please update this page to show that it is not actually implemented as requested. I had to scroll down through all the comments after my admin turned on the new gradebook to figure out why the "M" didn't exist because this page makes it seem like it was implemented in the new gradebook, and it isn't. 

dbey
Community Novice

Yes having the M for missing in Canvas would be a great asset for students and teachers. When we sinc to our grade book called Aspire, it would be nice if we could use M.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dbey  

Thanks for the comment.  I added the explanation to the top of the idea so that it is easier to find.  Sorry, but we will not be adding M as an identifier for missing in the gradebook.

dbey
Community Novice

I understand you have international users. There must be a way to override a grade in my gradebook and allow students the luxury of seeing a Missing assignment. If I give them a 2, will the grade override from Canvas? I could let students know that a 2 means Missing. This would be unorthodox as teachers in my school who do NOT use Canvas, always use M in the gradebook as Missing. Therefore I have a slew of students who say, "I'm doing great. I have NO MISSING ASSIGNMENTS!!!" How do you rectify that Renee???

dbey
Community Novice

I would like to suggest that students have the option to grade themselves on an assignment. They can fill out the rubric just as a teacher would BEFORE they submit the assignment. This would ENSURE that they actually look at the rubric.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Dianne - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5123-create-a-student-accessible-rubric-for-self-assessments?s...‌ may address this need. If it does, I encourage you to vote and to add your comments to the discussion. Smiley Happy

dbey
Community Novice

Hello

I see your email but when I go to add a comment despite being logged in, I am blocked.

I do agree students should be able to assess their own work before submitting because half the time they don’t realize the rubric exists.

Thank you

crawfom
Community Participant

Teachers need a way to to mark an assignment as zero AND the assignment is missing.  
If a teacher enters a 0 for an assignment, the student/parent see they received a score of zero on the assignment and it isn't immediately clear if they didn't understand any of the material assessed or if they didn't complete the submission.

If the teacher doesn't enter anything, then the student/parent get a false sense of the true grade.  

If the teacher can enter another entry such as a "Z", that could then count as a zero AND a missing assignment which help the student/parent/teacher immediately know this is a missing assignment and it has a negative impact on their grade until the student completes the submission.

mirasmeltzer
Community Novice

While I understand that some users might not find those codes helpful, that are many that do. They can choose not to use them, but you are not even giving us the choice. These are options that we have used in other systems for years, our students need them, otherwise we have no way of indicating these concepts to them in the grade book. 

sincereleeteach
Community Novice

Agree to all of the comments above! It would be supremely helpful to have SOME code for missing. It doesn't even have to be M - can't we use an X or just something that would make those of us who are speed grading faster? Speed grader would be speedier if we had an easy code to use.