Missing Label Placed Incorrectly/Submission on paper and online option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When the Missing Label was created it caused a lot of issues for me because I was teaching a distance education class and so I had many of my students submit assignments online but several that were at the same location as I was submitted them in class (paper copy). On canvas I could only select one(online) or the other(paper copy) not both, so all the students that had turned in all their assignments in class and not submitted them online had all their assignments show up as missing, even though I had entered a grade for them.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-07) 

35 Comments
kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hi Craig,

You may want to know that the red 'missing' labels are scheduled to return to student view once the New Gradebook becomes the norm.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hi Renee,

Thank you for your comments. I had actually been looking forward to using the New Gradebook, and did try it out briefly. There are a couple of new features that would be useful to me, but since there was no way to disable the red missing/late labels I switched back to the current Gradebook. Hopefully, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10605-a-global-option-to-enabledisable-missing-and-late-status... will get enough votes to be considered before the New Gradebook becomes mandatory.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Thank you for your postings on this! Those red labels were a real source of stress for my students (and therefore for me), and with the way my gradebook works, manually disabling them item by item would take me probably a full day (I have about 200 items in my Gradebook because I use microassignments).

But if I have to click click click click all day to disable them quiz by quiz by quiz, okay, well, I'll do that. Not happily, but I'll do it... because I honestly CANNOT have those red labels: they are completely wrong for my classes. The missing quizzes are NOT missing (they are optional), and the late quizzes are NOT late (instead, they are turned in during the "grace period" which is great, not late).

Let's hope a global disable option will be available...!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed