[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Teacher app Calendar access

I use my browser Canvas to create content, but I rely on the Teacher app to access the content for my courses when I'm in the classroom or otherwise away from my desk.  The Canvas features I need most are the files (syllabus and aids), the Attendance taker, and the Calendar (to look at upcoming deadlines or activities).  

At this point the only feature that I cannot access via the app is the access to the Calendar.  

Wouldn't that be nice?

Added to Theme

40 Comments
ely
Community Explorer

We rely heavily on the calendar for our courses, since they change from week to week. Having the calendar in the Teacher App would be a huge improvement. Hope to see that in a bit so distant future!

AAWhite
Community Member

How many votes are needed for this idea to be implemented? It is a very dire need!

*** please press the stars ️  to submit a vote! 

bsummerhill
Community Member

@AAWhite @RobDitto I commented on this idea long ago and expressed support. I don’t know how to upvote it with stars??? where are they?!? ️ maybe I am only allowed to rate/vote once? hope I did so…. 

dholmes21
Community Member

I do not know how to upvote this as I don't see any type of button or anything, but this is so essential! Please add this! We've been asking for 4 years now?!?! Calendar, ;please!

BrentMcBride
Community Novice

I really like the Canvas apps, which in some ways are more user friendly than the browser-based Canvas. But the glaring and inexplicable absence of Calendar in the Teacher app cripples me at work. I upload most content on my home computer because browser-based Canvas works better for that. But I take an iPad to work to teach because it weighs less (I walk to work) and works better for classroom teaching. But then I'm hobbled by being unable to access Calendar in the Teacher app. I have to be able to make appointments and at least check my daily appointments (office hours, etc.) at work, but cannot, because the Teacher app lacks Calendar. Teachers of all people need the Calendar they use to make appointments with students!!!

bsummerhill
Community Member

Why isn't Canvas responsive on this issue? If it (calendar function in mobile app) can't be done then at least let us know. Seems like Canvas instructors feel pretty strongly on this matter. Cheers, y'all.

P.S. Not sure why I'm a "New Member" when I've been using Canvas since the dark ages LOL (or at least 2011-12 when they started up, is that accurate?) and I've been on this forum since 2020 I think ... :)))

dhulsey
Community Champion

@BrentMcBride and @bsummerhill the appointment scheduler is in need of some attention for sure. 

I do subscribe to the ical feed and that puts assignments on my phone calendar, but I have not figured out a way to get appointments from the scheduler to show up on my calendar app, but perhaps there is a way I do not know about? I sometimes resort to using the browser on my phone or iPad, which is not ideal as it takes longer. If the ical feed worked better, that would work for me for the most part, but it would be nice to drag and drop due dates in the teacher app.

bsummerhill
Community Member

@dhulseyYes, thanks for the comment. My original (years ago) comment might have been confusing to @KristinL or other folks ... yes, I know how to feed my Canvas calendars to another calendar and so I can see assignments/due dates on my phone (via an outside calendar app).

Within Canvas Teacher App, a functioning Calendar with ability to shift a due date (for example) would be swell, not to mention being able to offer up a functioning Announcement through the Canvas teacher app. Oops, I guess that's a different thread ... ?

I have been teaching 5+ college classes in Canvas since Canvas started up. fyi. Love it as LMS overall. Continuing improvements (in SpeedGrader, etc.) much appreciated over the years.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme