[Modules] Add Images to Modules.

It would be awesome if instructors could add images to modules - specifically to add an image in the very first module in their list of modules. This way an instructor could create a Title Page to their course at the top of the modules page and keep the 'roadmap' of the modules underneath this image as their Home Page within their course. This would help to make it much clearer to students as to what course they are in at any particular time. In reality, this would mesh the concept of a Home Page (as a Page in Canvas) with the structure of the Modules for students to be able to follow the content of a course. Something along the lines of this:

195235_NewModuleTitle.pngNewModuleTitle.png

It would simply make for a better way to title a course.

38 Comments
johnsonmatt
Community Explorer

I don't understand why we would want to limit people that know what they are doing from doing what they want. If you don't know what you are doing, then stop. There is currently an institutional option that allows teachers to have images on their course card. This could be the same. If you don't want teachers having images in modules, just turn it off. 

jdorricott
Community Novice

Yes Love the idea! 

aloomis
Community Participant

Yes!

MelindaH
Community Member

I would like this as well, to make the module a home page but make it more friendly.

wilson_campbell
Community Explorer

would like also

sgorski
Community Member

Hi, I would like to request that there be a way to add pictures to the Modules.

Here's why this is important. This will be my second semester teaching online. What I've learned is that I need to minimize my dashboard as much as possible, so students don't have any ambiguity about where to go. Thus, I am adamant that I need to use Modules as my homepage, because that's where the content is.

Unfortunately, the standard Course Evaluation checklist that my school uses (that was provided by Canvas) includes "Home Page utilizes a course banner with imagery that is relevant to subject/course materials" as one of the best practices for an online course. So I know that when one of our course reviewers sees my course, they'll say that there aren't any pictures on the homepage and make me change it.

I am passionate about quality material, and I want to have a course that follows Best Practices. And I do enjoy a good picture, too. But I have seen enough to know that having students land on a page that says something like, "Hi! Welcome to the course! Please go to the Modules page!" instead of just having them land on the Modules page isn't an effective strategy.

cmitchell
Community Member

I can't believe this idea didn't get more traction.  The Module page is the only one that will show students their assignments and deadlines at the same time.  It is logical that fully online courses would use it for a home page.  Some kind of image at the top would anchor it as a class.  Otherwise, it looks very bare.

mbulpitt
Community Explorer

I too would love to have images for each module (and the ability to switch it off). We currently use a home page with links to each module in the form of a card-like layout (looks like the canvas dashboard) with an image and some descriptive text and an indication of which weeks are published. This was great when we had a couple of dozen courses and we could manually set up the links and release weeks. But now we're trying to maintain over 150 courses each trimester and the releasing of content manually is a major headache. The course owners are keen to keep the visual home page style, but we're keen to make these easier to maintain.

Having images headers in the modules page would be a good compromise and would be 1 less click for students 👍

brandib
Community Explorer

I think it would be great if the Modules list could work the same way as the Syllabus link in the course menu. Gives space at the top to put course information then scroll down to see the modules list. Eliminating the need for students to have to navigate to the modules list but still have an attractive and informative entrance into the course. Fewer clicks make for less room for confusion for students. 

ksalyards
Community Member

I would love to be able to have a picture at the top of my module that my students could actually see when they look at the module page, not just when they click on on item in the module. A banner for a new chapter, or a clip of the weekly calendar, or something along those lines would be awesome. I find that info that's right in front of their face gets through much better, and they don't always click through to my pages to see important information like schedules and calendars. I made a mock-up, attached!