[Modules] Selecting and Moving Multiple Items in Modules

I am working on a new semester in Canvas. I have moved over my old content from Blackboard. I am now trying to organize items a bit better into modules. It would be wonderful if there was a way to select multiple items in the modules sections and move them all at once to a new or different module. Thanks!

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

68 Comments
Dr_Mary
Community Member

I am new to Canvas from D2L Brightspace and trying to set up three classes in a hurry. I wish there was some way to move multiple items easily in Canvas. Until I stumbled across this forum post, I thought I was just unable to find it. Please add the feature to move multiple assignments.

BaileyRadel
Community Member

Yes! We need this function. It is virtually impossible to use the new resources put into our modules because it is time consuming to click and drag and leads to too many lagging delays. please add this functionality as soon as possible!

KateKodet
Community Explorer

Agree! An in between of moving one page/assignment and moving all contents in a module to a new module would be really helpful. It's different than "adding" to a module, where you can multiselect assignments to add multiples to a module, because (1) we want to be able to move, not just add another instance, and (2) when doing the "add to" it organizes by assignment grouping and alphabetically, and not in the order that the original module is, so it can be tricky to find all the pages/assignments you want to move in one fell swoop.  Thanks!

MsMiller1
Community Explorer

Yes, please! I thought the purpose of these communities was to provide much needed impute. As an instructor that uses an external tool to import content each semester, it would be so incredibly helpful to be able to select multiple items in modules and move, or delete them, or publish/unpublishing them at once. It would greatly decrease the amount of time it takes to update a course each semester!

I'll get back to moving items and updating them one at a time now 😞

Lpicsmith
Community Explorer

I have scanned through 2 years of comments for a question I 'googled' to see how to do - that is, I am reorganizing a Canvas course and want to move a whole set of items from one module to another.  Over the 2 year span since this question first posted, I have read people's frustrations with not being able to move multiple items at a time.  I have seen some responses, but none that say 'yes, we are going to do that'.  Since there doesn't seem to be an offer to fix this OR a workaround, I am writing just to express a 'I am also frustrated' voice.  This would save a LOT of time!!!

kmajeske
Community Novice

Here am I once again moving, indenting and deleting hundreds of items one at a time.  Fix this!

gary_schwartz
Community Member

Dear Canvas,

Teachers have been asking for this feature for two years. Get off your butts and do something!

Lpicsmith
Community Explorer

Our university transitioned to Canvas from Blackboard over the last year. This is the first semester that faculty who use a LMS have to use Canvas.  I had been using it, but with a new course prep, I realized that being able to move items in groups from one module to another was a feature that did not exist.  This would save LOTS of time!

EsciProf
Community Member

New to Canvas. My initial reaction to "Modules" was that they were clunky and not intuitive for either professors or students teaching F2F. But I'm trying to be a good sport. Mostly, problems like this have convinced me not to use modules to organize class material. Everything shows up on the "syllabus" page anyway. (That bugs me, too. My students now think a syllabus is the same as a to-do list.)

This is such basic functionality that I'm worried about the actual responsiveness of this vendor now that they have taken my institution's money.

SkylarStitt
Community Member

Arnold voice, " DO IT NOW!!!!!"