[Modules] scheduling external links for availability in modules

When inserting external links into modules, can we get the ability to schedule the availability to the students like assignments?  There are review videos that I want the student's to see will be available, but not be able to access until a certain time in the class.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

18 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@jmcgowan4 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Could you elaborate on the mechanics of "schedule availability...like assignments"? Availability of assignments is controlled by the settings the instructor sets in the assignment (the Available from date). When an instructor adds that assignment content to the module, they can then add prerequisites and requirements to the modules that governs how and when the student can access the assignment, but there is no provision in modules to set an assignment to be available in the module by a specific date or time.

Clarification will help our members to assess the request. Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

jmcgowan4
Community Member

"but there is no provision in modules to set an assignment to be available in the module by a specific date or time."

I should have said 'like can be done for files included in a module'.  I can set a specific time that a  file will be accessible to the student.

Basically, I make review videos of my lectures that I want visible in the same place in the module structure for the day , but I don't want the students to have access to those externally linked videos until after the lecture is over.  Unpublishing isn't sufficient, since then the existence of those videos isn't obvious to the students during the class.

But since you brought it up, it would be nice to have specific time availability for assignment s too.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jmcgowan4 

We'll still need clarification, then, since a file's availability is governed by a setting on the file, in Files; there isn't a setting specific to a module that governs how files are made available.

Are you interested in adding settings (such as availability dates) to an external tool? If so, each request for functionality of that type would need to be evaluated and considered for development as a joint project with each third-party application provider.

Alternatively, if the videos can be embedded on a Canvas page, this idea might be worth your attention: Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jmcgowan4 

Another way to satisfy the use case you've presented using existing Canvas tools is to place the video in its own module with a Lock Until time and date that occurs after the scheduled end time of the lecture, as described in How do I add a module?

jmcgowan4
Community Member

"since a file's availability is governed by a setting on the file, in Files;"

I didn't realize that a file's availability was primarily controlled from in the Files tab.  However, setting availability times for each file also seems to be accessible while in the module that the file is included in.

The functionality I was looking for is the ability to schedule a specific time availability for everything in a module.  The goal is for the students to see everything that will be happening in that module, but not have access until a specific time.

BTW, thanks for the immediate conversation.  I find Canvas to be a very comprehensive and well supported system.

pic 1.png

jmcgowan4
Community Member

"is to place the video in its own module with a Lock Until time and date that occurs after the scheduled end time of the lecture,"

a reasonable workaround, but I am using the modules as discrete lessons - one for each day. Thus I'm trying to include everything for that day in one module.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jmcgowan4 

We're glad that the workaround is a step in the right direction. However, since availability of items within modules is governed by the availability dates set on the items themselves, not by dates set on each item in the module. we're going to archive this idea. 

The functionality depicted in your screenshot is not intrinsic to Canvas—those clickable calendar icons are not a Canvas feature—so perhaps this is associated with an existing third-party integration. Are the .jpg images housed in a third-party app? 

I think we're moving in the right direction with this. It sounds like you'd like the video link in the module to display the same integrated calendar option that you are currently using to schedule availability of the images. If you'd like to re-submit the idea to request the ability to set availability times on content provided by a third-party provider (e.g. videos), please specify the company and write a new idea that we can move forward for consideration as a partnership integration.

Thanks for taking the time to talk this out with us!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

nmoroze
Community Novice

I'm also interested in this feature! This workaround does not work for my use case since I'd like to be able to schedule individual items within a module to become public at different times. 

Similar to what I believe the original poster wanted, I'd like to be able to schedule the publication of "External URL" items the same way you can with files. Since the file upload feature is provided by Canvas, it seems to me like the feature I'm after is intrinsic to Canvas (not just provided by a third-party plugin). It'd be great to have a similar feature for all items that can be added to a module!