New Gradebook Mute

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In the old gradebook, a muted assignment would have a bell with a cross through it. In the new gradebook, the only way to see if an assignment is muted is to expand the column and look for the word muted. Please bring back the bell as it is cumbersome to have to expand multiple columns to see which assignments have been muted.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16958-canvas-release-notes-2019-07-13 .

8 Comments
young2538
Community Novice

This is a great idea.  We also have concerns about the way that Canvas handles unpublished/muted assignments  Issue with muted and unpublished assignments?

clong
Community Champion

We often times get calls and emails from instructors with large gradebooks and they have a hard time telling which assignment(s) have been muted. This parity or some new feature that allows users to accomplish this is still needed in the new gradebook.

janet_casagrand
Community Novice

Please bring back the bell! I didn't even realize it had been taken away and couldn't figure out why my students couldn't see their final grades! It never occurred to me that I'd have to manually expand each grade column to find the words 'MUTED'. Especially since the final grade column had a bell. I was trying to figure out how to unmute that column, not realizing it was because there was a muted assignment that I couldn't tell was muted.

young_2538
Community Explorer

I'd love to see the bell come back but in the meantime, if you have a lot of columns it can be helpful to use Student View/Test Student to quickly see what assignments are muted.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

TKim Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @young2538  Thank You ,  @clong  Thank You , janet.casagrand Thank You , &  @24eyoung  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed