[New Quizzes] Allow Ability to Change Question Type in New Quizzes

As a teacher, I'd like the ability to change the question type after I have already created the question (like I was able to do with the Classic Quizzes).  For example, after I've created a multiple choice question, but want to change this to a multiple answer question, I could click on a drop down tab next to the question to easily make this adjustment.

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

26 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

tommy_flynn
Community Explorer

I second this suggestion. I could use this nearly every time I create a quiz. Thanks!

hoggardr
Community Explorer

I completely agree with this.  I am so frustrated today with the quiz I am creating...  So many times I have started developing a question and then decide it is better suited for a different type of question.  With this crazy new quiz interface, I have to delete the question that I have already half written and recreate it again just to be able to change the question type.  This is ridiculous!

Harlin
Community Member

Yes, teachers liked how they could import questions into Classic Quizzes and then change the question type.  This is something they would like as an added feature for New Quizzes.  

Steven_S
Community Champion

This is a challenge in every quiz with every quiz question that I write.  I start a prompt, and then want multiple choice instead of true/false, or vice versa, or an essay question instead of either of those.  But the question type cannot be changed without starting over. 

Also, for those concerned over partial credit, a fill-in-the-blank with a word bank could be easily switched to matching, since one uses partial credit and the other does not, but currently the entire question must be rewritten.

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

The ability to change questions types after creating a quiz, and without having to start over, is welcomed by all Instructors who have ever changed their mind, mid assessment, about how to better design questions for the best learning experience possible. Thoroughly support this, especially so since Classic Quiz does allows for this. This is another reason as to why we are holding back on switching on New Quizzes at our institution.

dalston1
Community Participant

This is especially frustrating when I want to change multiple answers to multiple choice or vice versa. I like the stimulus on new quizzes, but many other aspects of it are just too frustrating.

haa0107
Community Member

I couldn't agree with this statement anymore. The ease of changing question format with just one click makes Classic Quizzing more enticing than New Quizzes. 

rtduke
Community Member

Need to have  abiltiy to change question type in NEW QUIZZES and to put a degree symbol in for a problem without having to learn code 

FYI to get the symbol you use    \(\degree\)    put the number you want in front of  \  like this

34\(\degree\)   

then it will display 34 with a degree symbol.

Only took an hour to figure this out...,

jebarton
Community Member

YES! I have just run into this problem and am finding that I have to recreate the whole dang question. Major nuisance and waste of time and mouse clicks. (Sounds silly to say waste of mouse clicks, but carpal tunnel is real, y'all.)