[New Quizzes] Confidence Indicator for Quizzes

Problem statement:

Students move so quick through tests/quizzes that students do not really think about what they are answering.

Proposed solution:

Add a confidence indicator function with each question. Smile - I'm confident ? - I'm in between. Frown - Complete guess.

User role(s):

instructor,designer

4 Comments
TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi @tweatherwax,

Can you please elaborate on this? Is this something you would like to show for all students for all questions? Would you make choosing a confidence level mandatory for the students?
Where would the instructor see the option the students chose? 
What is the purpose? 

tweatherwax
Community Member
Author

Hi Tamas,

Yes all students and all questions.

Mandatory - optional or yes if optional is too difficult.

The instructor would see the value (1 - confident, 0 debating, - 1 guess) in two places

• average confidence value on the question in reports.
  • when looking at the students quiz, it should show with their selected answer.

Purpose - Feeling of learning vs actual learning.

• Students during a test often have an idea whether there answer is correct or incorrect. I want to get a small slice of insight to know if they felt confident in that piece of knowledge being assessed or if it was a guess.
  • Actual learning - Assessments are meant to help a student grow.
    • If a student gets a question  wrong that they were confident about, their conceptual model needs adjusting.
    • If that student gets a question correct they guessed on (-1 or frown), then they have something to learn still (although this shouldn't be any sort of punishment to score).
    • If a student is debating a question, this is where their conceptual model is likely closest to forming, but they need some reassurance. These are questions that we focus on when retaking tests, but hard to identify. 

Please continue this dialogue so we can get potentially get this rolling! 

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Hi, thank you for your idea @tweatherwax
I find this interesting, although I'm afraid this would be highly controversial among our customers and also among the students and potentially could undermine academic integrity. 

Currently, we focus on more pressing matters so we are not considering the idea this time. Please do not feel discouraged from posting other ideas or even bring this one up later.

tweatherwax
Community Member
Author

Tamas,

Thank you for responding. I do not understand why this is considered highly controversial. I am wondering if that statement came from a misunderstanding about the -1,0,1 ranking system. Those numbers are not meant to be part of the score, but more of a tracking system to help students evaluate mistakes on assessments. 

Thanks!