[New Quizzes] Create Item Banks from MSWord

It would be useful that when you create a question [item] bank at the account level being able to upload a huge number of questions once by using a word document. Now, the only way to do this is to create them one by one.

61844_2015-06-17_1019.png2015-06-17_1019.png

Rosalie

170 Comments
warners
Community Member

Please add this feature1

gaminib
Community Novice

1816 up votes and counting...Canvas admin, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

"What we have here is failure to communicate."  

kcampbell
Community Novice

Creating a quiz is already difficult, especially if you are needing to accommodate for 504/Sped. Being able to upload already created tests into Canvas' question banks makes so much sense. The problem remains that if I have multiple tests in Word (I'm an ELA teacher, of course I have tests created), and I can not use them in Canvas unless 1) I retype them into the questions banks, 2) I create Google Forms from my files and add the form into a virtual tool, 3) have a separate program that creates an RTI file, or 4) know how to create an RTI file through Word (and it may or may not do that, since I have no clue) which may or may not import correctly according to all accounts I have found in the forums.

Keeping the faith that things can happen if enough people request,

Karen

chemlectures
Community Participant

More faculty contacted me today, asking about this feature.  They each assumed this feature existed and were confused by the difficulty they had finding it in Canvas. Suggesting they use the windows only Respondus or manually enter each question...was not well received.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Especially us Mac users! 

Apple logo

epatterson2
Community Explorer

This is a need not a want!  The tools are out there to do this using Blackboard and a free account.  Why doesn't that move you Instructure??

roarkkm
Community Member

New problem! I have quizzes stuck in Examview I cannot get into Canvas (no access to Examview working from home. What a pain!). Anyone know how? 

helen_brethauer
Community Member

I think it is insane that this has not already been dealt with! Many of us write our own questions, have for years, and don't want to retype or cut/paste everything!!!!!

macleodk
Community Novice

I agree that the inability to import blocks of test questions easily into Canvas from common word processing software (like Word) or exported unformatted .txt files is a major inconvenience as I try to transition materials assembled over years and years of in-person teaching into a format accessible on-line.

Using Respondus 4.0 works, although it is not particularly elegant, and, being a predominantly Mac user adds additional complications to using this approach.

KM

Lee_Yow_Emh
Community Member

I, We, need this feature please. Although I use Respondus currently, the ability to use a word processing software to build my question banks and directly upload them into Canvas without need of yet another software (Respondus) will make things better, faster and less costly. It will benefit the students, the teachers, the administrators, and ultimately, Instructure.