[New Quizzes] Create Option for Extra Credit Question in Quiz

Users should be able to mark a question to be used for extra credit in a quiz in Canvas.  This question should only provide credit to the student if it is correct.  It should NOT take away from the student's overall score on the quiz if they get it wrong or do not answer it.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

68 Comments
cohenf
Community Participant

Cannot believe this has yet to be developed since making "Product Radar" in Nov 2016 and since the creation of Quizzes.next. I'm shaking my head how Instructure has two quiz platforms, neither of which provide for extra credit, a function on "radar" for 18 months.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ad7628
Community Novice

Brand new to Canvas this year at my university and I am shocked that something so simple is NOT an option! We moved from Blackboard to Canvas and I have to say that I am thoroughly unimpressed so far.

It looks like this has been requested for over 3 years now and it has still not been adopted?  Does anyone from Canvas actually look at these pages or not?  

I think people need to start asking their Canvas administrators to elevate this tiny and easily fixable issue to Canvas, maybe that way it will actually get done.

schutt_j
Community Novice

I'm with you. It's particularly bad on the gradebook. You are correct. There is NO way to assign a quiz as extra credit. The best they can do is to point to someone else's workaround. Pathetic.

cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

Renee... wow... I'm replying to your 12-month old comment above.

Can you clarify? When you typed, "As for questions that are distinctly identified as extra credit, this is not currently in dev.  It's not currently in the scope of existing priorities,"...

... are you meaning, even in the Quizzes.Next, this functionality will NOT be included in that new quizzing platform?

Thx, Cliff

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Not at this time,  @cliff_cunningha , no.  

Quizzes.Next is currently on the path to parity.  You can follow that in Quizzes.Next Feature Comparison.  This may be something considered after parity?

schutt_j
Community Novice

Isn't it amazing how the Canvas folks won't implement this most-needed feature?

mary_hileman
Community Novice

I have been using BrightSpace which gives an opportunity for an Extra Credit 'bonus' question on an exam. Students get extra credit if the answer is correct, but do not lose points if incorrect. The solution suggested by the Canvas Help-line person to create a question worth zero points and then hand grade all exams is not practical for a class with 115 students enrolled. Please consider creating this feature.

ravishan
Community Novice

The current process for having an extra credit question is a serious PITA.  So far I am thoroughly unimpressed with Canvas

pshaw
Community Member

Blackboard allows for extra credit grading in all their tests (quizzes).  Why isn't Canvas providing such a service?  When I inquired with a Canvas IT person about this issue, their response was: "Just because this issue is in the top 10% in voting, doesn't mean we will doing anything with it."  WOW!  What negative customer service.  Our community college has 30,000 students.  Maybe Canvas would be wise to listen to us.