[New Quizzes] Create Option for Extra Credit Question in Quiz

Users should be able to mark a question to be used for extra credit in a quiz in Canvas.  This question should only provide credit to the student if it is correct.  It should NOT take away from the student's overall score on the quiz if they get it wrong or do not answer it.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

68 Comments
ddean127
Community Member

In Blackboard, we can create a quiz question and then under point value make that question worth extra credit via a checkbox.  Therefore, the students could earn say 10 out of 0 if the entire quiz was made up of extra credit questions.  It would then show up in the gradebook and the grade calculation.

I learned today, that Canvas won't allow extra credit questions in Quizzes.  I'm going to have to manually enter scores via a non-submission activity.

Something to think about.

KingaMatusik
Community Member

Please get in an option for extra credit! I do not have time to regrade 100 submissions for extra credit questions 😞 This makes me not want to use them at all. I need an option that will allow me to select a question as extra credit giving me an option to set the pint value on the test to be counted as "0" but award students whatever value I want if they get it correct and for the test to automatically do this. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.

hesspe
Community Champion

@KristinL I see that you archived a number of feature requests for quizzes today, based on the belief that they were for Classic Quizzes since Classic will get no future development.  Though the request may have been submitted with Classic in mind, a good number of the requests, like this one, apply equally well to New Quizzes, and I suspect many of the people who commented and/or voted thought they were commenting on a New Quizzes feature request. It does seem to me a bit complacent to archive them under these circumstances.  I checked this one in particular and there is no equivalent request for New Quizzes.  How would you suggest perpetuating these requests where I think that they remain applicable so that they are not just re-archived?  For those archived quiz requests where New has resolved the request, it would be helpful for that to be noted.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

amy_hasinoff
Community Participant

I would like this feature as well. It would also make a lot of sense in New Quizzes, where you can have different answers worth different points. I would find it useful to have a question worth 5 points where the answers could be worth, for example:

a) 5 pts

b) 6 pts

c) 0 pts

This means selecting a) = 100% but selecting b) gives them one bonus point on the quiz.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

wdewysockie
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

Instructor would like to add a bonus question to a New Quizzes exam that provides additional points and is automatically graded by Canvas. Currently, an instructor must create a bonus question; assign the question zero points; and then manually grade the question after the exams are submitted. This is challenging when there are a large number of students in the course. Case example: An instructor would like to add a bonus Matching type question to an exam. The bonus question is worth 10 points. The total possible score for all non-bonus questions is 50, which would count as a 100% score. The instructor has configured the bonus question to allow partial credit. For each student, the instructor would like Canvas to automatically grade the bonus question and provide any extra points earned to the total points earned for all non-bonus questions. So, if a student earned the total possible points (50) and answered the bonus question correctly, Canvas would add 10 points -- with a total score of 60.

Proposed solution:

To solve this problem, Canvas can provide a bonus question feature within a New Quizzes exam. The instructor would use this feature to add a bonus question that assigns a set number of points above the exam total possible points. For each student, Canvas would automatically grade the bonus question and provide any extra points earned to the total points earned for all non-bonus questions. Historically, it is not atypical for instructors to add bonus points to a quiz. Adding a bonus question feature to New Quizzes would allow instructors to continue adding bonus questions in a digital environment. Including automatic grading of the question would expedite grading in classes with large enrollments.

User role(s):

instructor,ta,designer