[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for Multiple Answers WITHOUT Penalty

Please offer the option to restrict students' answer selection to X number of choice selections and offer partial points for correct answers ONLY without deducting points for incorrect answers. The penalty option right now is killing my student scores! 

For example: I have a 2 point question that requires students to select 4 answers (each being worth 1/2 point). A student will select 4 answers but only 3 of them were the correct answer. They SHOULD receive the 1.5 points for the correct answer. But instead they receive only 1 point. 

If the issue is the half points- then please correct this and allow half points, or let US KNOW THAT THE SYSTEM WON'T CALCULATE HALF POINTS!

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

55 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KirstinGeorge
Community Member
Problem statement:

Right now, students start with all points possible and lose points for missing a correct answer AND choosing an incorrect answer.

Proposed solution:

When grading a multiple answer item, we want students to receive points for correct answers and NOT be deducted points for incorrect answers.

User role(s):

admin

danhan221
Community Member
Problem statement:

The reason why they are getting zeros is because with the configuration of this question type, any wrong answers are counted against the points the students have earned with the correct answers. I understand the logic behind doing it that way (so students don't just mark all of the answers and get partial credit because they marked the correct answers because they selected all of the answers), but why can't there be an option for "Partial credit without penalty"? On multiple answer questions, I want students to get points for correct answers and no point deductions for wrong answers, but at the same time, not allow students to outsmart the system and mark all of the answers, thus getting the question 100% correct.

Proposed solution:

Create the option/feature "Partial credit without penalty" and maybe create a input box where the instructor indicates the amount of wrong answers better applying the penalty, perhaps. This way, students are rewarded for getting the answer partially credit. Otherwise, they pretty much lose all their points when marking a wrong answer when they are supposed to mark 2 answers from the distractors in a question prompt.

User role(s):

instructor

kthurston
Community Member
Problem statement:

When we make a quiz with multiple answers, we want students to get points for each correct answer. This is not currently an option. If I have 4 correct answers and they get 3 right and 1 wrong, they only get 2 points. This does not reflect what a student really knows. There is no reason they should have a bigger penalty than getting the one they missed wrong. This was first brought up in 2020. I don't see why this hasn't been fixed yet. I am aware that some similar posts have been made, but this should really be changed.

Proposed solution:

Either take away the penalty completely or allow for the option of without penalty to be added. It does not make sense to take away extra points because a student missed one answer. My students are always confused by the points they earned if they miss one or more because the points do not reflect what they did correctly.

User role(s):

instructor

LesleySteffen
Community Member
Problem statement:

At this time the only options are Exact Match or Partial Credit With Penalty.

Proposed solution:

For those utilizing Canvas in a nursing program, the new NCLEX does provide partial credit without penalty when utilizing specificity in the question (example: Select 4 items vs. SATA at the end of the question). I would like to have Partial Credit Without Penalty available for these types of multiple response questions.

User role(s):

instructor,designer