[New Quizzes] Practice quizzes

I  am updating my course for the upcoming academic year and I have stumbled upon a major roadblock regarding quizzes. 

With the Classic Quizzes set to disappear next summer, it doesn't seem worth my while to rely on them, but the New Quizzes are lacking a key feature: PRACTICE QUIZZES. 

The lack of practice quizzes is a major issue for me and other colleagues because, as language teachers, we rely massively on quizzes (especially this year that we are set to be doing a lot of our teaching online). I know that it is possible to set the New Quizzes so that they are worth 0 points and do not count towards the grades, but the fact that they HAVE to be set as an assignment creates a huge problem: without practice quizzes, every single quiz will appear in the syllabus and I would have at least 6 quizzes per week in a 24 week course! This will get very messy, very fast.

I know I can just hide the course summary in the syllabus, but that still would leave us with the problem of students having tens of confusing "assignments" on their calendar (I believe they still would appear under "undated"). Also, I just discovered that hidding the course summary hides the mini calendar and assignment weighting information on the right side of the page too, which renders the syllabus pretty much useless!

Being able to just have the quizzes as practice and add them to the modules where necessary without them being categorised as assignments is the ideal, as it is the case with Classic Quizzes. They may not be as fancy, but they are much more user friendly. 

I cannot understand why the choice was made to remove this essential option - a newer engine should offer the same features as the prior one plus additional ones, not less! I really hope this is something that will be implemented soon. 

Estefanía

Added to Theme

34 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-06-17) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-06-17) 

cpadavano
Community Contributor
Problem statement:

This idea was shared with the community before, but it was not deployed in the way the author described (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Ideas/New-Quizzes-Practice-quizzes/idi-p/398053). Currently, even though New Quizzes has the option not to count the grade to the gradebook or students' grades, the non-graded New Quizzes still appear in the Course Summary of a Canvas course.

Proposed solution:

It would be helpful if "Practice New Quizzes" could not appear in the Course Summary like Classic Quiz's practice quizzes. Otherwise, students will still be overwhelmed with a lengthy Course Summary and think they need to complete all the items listed for a grade.

User role(s):

student

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Hi! Today, we noted (with the help of a Community member) that this idea was not fulfilled with the Canvas Release Notes (2023-06-17). We are, therefore, returning it to the Added to Theme status.