[New Quizzes] Retake only missed questions for students with IEP

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Problem statement:

Many of our students with IEPs have the right to retake a test or quiz, but only the questions they had incorrect the first time. This is our legal obligation to our special education students. Currently, if a student retakes a quiz on Canvas, they have to retake the entire quiz. This is frustrating and demoralizing for our students, in addition to not meeting their educational needs.

Proposed solution:

Quizzes should have the option to retake only the questions missed, similar to how we set additional time for specific students. This would allow our school, district, and all of California teachers to meet the legally mandated obligations stipulated by our students' IEPs.

User role(s):

instructor

Added to Theme

13 Comments
MonicaCadenasso
Community Novice

I agree, I would love the option to choose certain students to be able to retake only the questions they missed on a quiz. Then ideally their new answers would override their old answers and their overall quiz grade would update to reflect their new answers. (Also we should keep the quiz retake feature that already exists where students take a completely new randomized version of the quiz because that is very useful in other circumstances.)

StephenRenehan
Community Novice

I agree. This would be awesome for our students!

NellieHill
Community Novice

Thanks for posting this! Our old LMS would allow this feature where students could have the option to retake only the questions missed. Very helpful for students with IEPs.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Thank you for sharing this idea!

You may also be interested in New Quizzes: Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts. I know that you are asking for those who qualify for accommodations to have the feature, but I thought I'd share as they're related!

MarioRSBHS
Community Explorer
Author

Ms. Kristin,

Thank you for the prompt response.  I checked out the link you sent.

From that conversation thread:

"Why have people been asking for second attempts to only require incorrect answers to be repeat since 2016 and now 6 years later we are still waiting for this feature?" (User @AMC63 : July 12, 2022)

A similar posting this past Tuesday expressed the same frustration (User @ehmatthes).

It seems like this is still a function not available on Canvas, which is a legal complication for us if we do not comply with our IEPs.

Have a wonderful three day weekend,

Mario

RachelPhelps-Ha
Community Novice

I agree with my colleagues that we need to have the option for our students to retake only the missed problems on quizzes in Canvas. We use multiple quizzes a week and this would help us immensely.

anilles
Community Member

I agree. We run into the same issue with our students. This would really help fit the needs of our students. 

MarioRSBHS
Community Explorer
Author

@KristinL 

Ms. Kristin,

Good afternoon and happy start to your October.  Is there any update on whether this function (retake quiz, but only the incorrect answers) is going to be considered?

I ask because I've been printing out the student tests and then cutting out the answers, but this is taking way too much time away from my other responsibilities.  Do you have an alternate suggestion?

Thank you,

Mario

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @MarioRSBHS -

I don't have more information to share than what's included on the Canvas Roadmap and the timeline included in the New Quizzes Hub. These would be the best places to watch for official announcements.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New