[New Quizzes] Show and Hide Quiz Results by Date

Allow a show/hide date range for the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" quiz setting.

In order to maintain test security, instructors often want to limit students from viewing their quiz results until after the due date for the quiz has passed.  Currently, the correct answers can be set to be shown and hidden on given dates, but students will still be able to see the questions, their responses, incorrect answers, and feedback prior to this date, and if an instructor wants students only to be able to see their results but not correct answers, the only way to do this is to uncheck the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" option then manually go back and enable it once the due date (or other chosen date) has passed.

Please add a date range selector like the one that is there for Let Students See the Correct Answers: 

Screenshot of the quiz settings with date range selector for the Let Students See Their Quiz Results option

90 Comments
dkrasne
Community Explorer

@melig , yes, we're all aware of that work around: the problem with that is twofold. First, it's not automated, and second, it doesn't allow for setting different dates for different groups (e.g., when one person has an extension, but everyone else should be prevented from viewing the answers until that one person is done).

kaltenau
Community Member

Canvas please add this feature to New Quizzes. It is a very important feature for instructors to be able to set a date of when they want their students to see correct/incorrect answers after taking a quiz.

BSchoolProf12
Community Member

This is absolutely critical for enhanced integrity of online classes. Please add it soon and not in 3 years when the next release happens!

AndrewTaylor
Community Member

I'll add my voice here as well asking for this feature. The transition to New Quizzes will be much more difficult if the old engine offers an important tool that the new engine simply does not have.

leward
Community Contributor

A number of comments have suggested incorporating the due date into the scheduling the availability of feedback.  If that is in fact the case, it would be helpful if there were also an option to show after the "available until" date.   Instructors who permit late submissions would not want students seeing the correct answers or perhaps any details until after all students had submitted.

Personally, I favor making the options as granular as possible in terms of what types of feedback is available when. Faculty generally have very strong and well justified ideas as to what type of feedback is appropriate at any point during or after submitting a quiz. And requiring them to revisit the quiz settings in order to show or hide a specific type of feedback is not practical or reasonable.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

rmaughan
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

I set feedback to release after the due date - however, I am unable to do this in New Quizzes. Manually going in after a due date passes is not logical for me and will only serve to be something else I have to remember to do, will be extra clicks during the marking process (which is one of the bulkiest and constantly behind aspects of my job), and will DELAY students from seeing their results at the assignment (Quiz-type) due date - which goes against the immediate feedback trends in education. The due time of my assignments (quiz-type) is set for STUDENT convenience and NOT based on my working hours. If I am working at a due date, I will be busy and will not be sitting around waiting to MANUALLY release the feedback. Conversely, if I let students see everything before the due date, there is nothing to prevent students from cheating. (i.e., group fo three students alternate who takes first, take and submit - then read computer "correct" answers to other two = no learning done). This is the equivalent of handing out an answer key when only 1 student in the class has submitted the assignment. That is just not done and I am confused as to why anyone would want that as a default setting.

Proposed solution:

There should be an option to have student restricted until a specific date (e.g. the due date) that the teacher selects. When that date passes, the restrictions lift automatically showing full results and feedback.

User role(s):

instructor

ellisonl15
Community Participant
Problem statement:

I like to give my students unlimited attempts in quizzes (New Quizzes) so they can continue working on new concepts, but sometimes they may need to see what the answers are to help them see where they're going wrong.

Proposed solution:

Give students an option to "show answers" (and give instructors the ability to cut off student attempts once they have seen the answers). Give New Quizzes the same functionality to "show answers at [some specific time]" option would also be helpful.

User role(s):

instructor

ZachEilon
Community Member
Problem statement:

This refers to New Quizzes. I would like students to be able to view their responses, and the correct answers (or at least whether their answer was correct, depending on other options) after a quiz has closed. My use case is this: I had a mid-term exam as a New Quiz. The exam had very specific timing, and students are not allowed to take it late. Following the exam, students reasonably want to see their answers and feedback/correct etc. However, as things stand, they cannot see this if the quiz is closed. If the quiz is not closed, students who missed the exam can still take it, which I don't want. The fact that late assignments can be flagged is not useful - it is very easy to miss this, and extra work for me or the TAs. At the moment, there are three dates specified for quizzes: 1) the Available From date, 2) the Due date, and 3) the Until date. Students cannot access anything about the quiz before date (1) - that's good. It's also good that there is a nominal Due date. The problem is the "Until" date. Currently, students cannot access their answers to the quiz after the Until date. But if the Until date is the end of the semester, then students can theoretically submit the quiz until the end of the semester. I would like students to be able to see their submissions, and get some level of feedback (whether correct/correct answers/whatever at my discretion) after they submit, but NOT to have students able to submit the assignment (Due) date. I could theoretically try to address this by having a late policy of 100% deduction immediately after the due date, but this policy would apply equally across the entire course and that is highly undesirable (BTW this is a truly BIZARRE feature - I would much prefer individual late policies for each assignment - perhaps with a course/assignment-group default, so as not to enter it each time). By the way, I am unclear why this issue even crops up for New Quizzes, because it doesn't seem to be a factor for Old Quizzes. Students can see their answers to these even after the "Until" date.

Proposed solution:

There are three possible solutions, which I've listed here in order of ease/preference. 1) Add an option to prevent quiz submission after due date. Since the due date is already something that can be defined on a student-by-student basis, any students requiring reasonable adjustments to due date could be accommodated that way. This way, the Until date could be the end of the semester, or some other specified time (e.g. immediately before another quiz for which I don't want students seeing the previous quiz). 2) Add a fourth date which would be the "visible until" date. This would allow specification of five separate time periods: a) before the quiz is available or visible. b) after the quiz is visible, before it is due - students ideally submit now. c) after the quiz is due, but before it is closed - student can submit late now and be subject to late penalties. d) after the quiz is closed, but while answers/feedback is still available to students. e) the quiz is no longer available and students cannot view past submissions or answers, just the score. This solution is less preferred because it requires instructors creating the quiz to enter one more date. Perhaps this would by default be the end of the semester, and there could be a check box asking if the "visible until" date was different to that; if the instructor selects this, it would ask for the date. 3) Add custom late penalties. Late penalties would be defined at the assignment group level, but also each individual assignment could have specific late penalties. This would allow instructors to get around the problem above by making the "Until" date the end of the semester, but applying a 100% late penalty to prevent submissions after the due date.

User role(s):

instructor