[Notifications] Default notification settings profiles by user role

As an account or subaccount admin, I want to set default notification settings for my users by role. Like role-based permissions, these notification settings could be locked or unlocked; that is, I could choose to allow users in a given role to change a default notification setting or not.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Kurt Beer
Special thanks for contributions by: Pamela Wik-Grimm, Simon B. Walker, Tricia Jackson

79 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Just a little observation...................

I see lots of requests like this asking that student be forced to acknowledge or forced to receive communications so that they might not miss any important messages from their instructors. None of these tech responses will work, but that's not my point this time around.

What I am wondering is why there are no requests of the same nature for instructors, so that they don't miss important communications from their students?  From my perspective, this is a much more important need, and still it cannot be solved by tech.

Kelley

jonesn16
Community Champion

mic drop moment

lohara1
Community Novice

I understand that admins at different sorts of institutions would have different ideas about how to set (and possibly lock) the default notifications. It sure would be great for the each of us to be able to set them as would serve our institutions best. Please add this feature!

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Would this setting be for all notification types or just the one that exists at the time the user account is created? IE, are you saying that if a user adds a phone number (as a secondary notification type) to receive texts it would automatically and in some case not be able to change the frequency or need for that notification?

f_latulipe
Community Novice

If you work in a UK school, you will be aware of #safeguarding requirements. This includes being able to investigate abuse of messaging between students (peer to peer), and with other adults.  

Most schools already have facility to detect for flagged keywords in emails and escalate appropriately.

If Admins could force all messages send via the Canvas platform to be also send via emails, and for this to be locked, the existing processes could kick in.    

This also feeds into the new #GDPR legistation coming into force in the UK in March 2018.  

Please, please, please can you include this feature in the platform.

jhess1
Community Novice

This is not only useful for administrators.  As a teacher, I would like to set different Notification settings on courses where I am a learner vs. courses where I am a teacher vs. PLNs where I am a colleague, etc.

candrew
Community Participant

At my institution, we have faculty members who are "teachers" in some courses but observers in others, allowing full access to those other courses on an as-needed basis. 

They do not need to have every notification go out to them all of the time, they just need to periodically view what is being taught by their peers so that they can create course content that will complement and/or follow up for future courses for the students.  

What they really need is to be able to choose level of opt-in for notifications by course if they are not teachers or students.

f_latulipe
Community Novice

We really need to be able to set the notification settings for all students and teachers from the Admin User interface, and to 'lock' this so that individuals cannot change this.

Safeguarding principles require proactive monitoring and detection of flagged 'keywords' in any digital communication, which include messages and posts in Canvas.  Right now Canvas is not compliant.  Getting logs from from the support team in a reactive fashion on a case by case basis is simply not good enough, and the logs only cover the last 30 days.

I really hope that Canvas addresses this very soon as it could impact their market share across all UK schools.

emilywthompson
Community Explorer

Hi Christopher:

This is the situation we're in exactly. We need "Observers" (guest lecturers that do not need to interact with learners in Canvas) opted out of all notifications for that role in a course. Is there a way to turn off notifications for OBSERVER type roles only? I see fuzzy language on other threads indicating this might be possible.

~ Emily

candrew
Community Participant

Kelly, I believe firmly that users should have full control over notifications they receive.  I believe in that so much that I would like them to have this down to a course-by-course basis with defaults (based on role that they are in the course).  Observers, should not be notified automatically and they should have an option to 'Follow' the course (like in Github).  Students and teachers, on the other hand, should be defaulted to 'follow' but have the option of selectively opting out of notifications (such as file updates as an example).  I may want to know of changes in one course that I am actively involved in but not other courses where I may be a guest professor needing to understand the content of the course and where the course has progressed in order to make my session(s) relevant and timely.