[Pages] Differentiated Pages

Canvas should support differentiated Pages. Similar to differentiated Assignments, Pages could be set to be visible to certain groups of students. This would allow for the creation of diverging tracks or branches within a single course.

At UCLA Extension, we're currently developing a Canvas training course for new instructors. We have included two groups of instructors in one course: 1.) Online/Hybrid instructors, and 2.) Web-facilitated instructors. By necessity, we've designed our course so both groups move through the same content. However, if we had differentiated Pages, then we could tailor our content to each group's specific needs and enjoy the benefits of keeping them in the same course (discussion, collaboration, grading etc.).

There is a similar suggestion for differentiated Modules for which I have voted in support:

Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

56 Comments
lbach
Community Participant

I'd also really like to be able to assign pages or modules to certain sections. I'm developing a guide for all lab instructors/TAs in my department, with instructors placed in sections corresponding to the class they are teaching. Having the ability to assign certain pages or modules only to the instructors who are teaching a particular class would be a huge improvement.

sholmes370
Community Member

The workaround for this it to create an assignment that is ungraded and has no submission, then assign it to only the sections you want to be able to view the page. 

PeterSercombe
Community Explorer

New to Canvas here, so still learning. Quite surprised this feature still does not exist, given it is available in a number of other mainstream LMS's.

Just thinking out loud here - Could I use a differentiated assignment in a module as a requirement for completion, then use that module as the prerequisite for a 'differentiated' module? My thinking here is that the student/group/section I want to have access to would be able to complete the prerequisite, but not others, hence the differentiated module is restricted to those students.

Would content inside such a restricted module be available from other views (e.g. Pages, Files, etc)?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

allison88
Community Participant
Problem statement:

Hello, I have a new suggestion for Pages and Sections. Is there a way that when building different pages inside a course that we can allocate students to different sections and hey can only view the pages that sit inside the section they have been assigned. For example: Primary STEM Course: - Pages: Home Page, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6 - Sections: Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6 The students will essentially only see two pages - the Home page and their Section/Grade Page. Thanks, I hope this makes sense.

Proposed solution:

Allowing Instructors to restrict pages to certain groups will allow students using Elementary to have less cognitive load having additional course tiles on their Dashboard and everything is in the one place.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student

John_Gaspar
Community Participant
Problem statement:

Pages, once published are available to all students There are situations in which pages should be released to students based on various criteria. Use case 1. An MBA course offers students the option of completing it in standard mode (12 weeks) or block mode (an intensive 6 weeks). Students completing it in block mode should have the information available at different times to students completing it over the 12 weeks. This can be accomodated in assignments, quizzes and discussion boards, but not in pages. Use case 2. Each tutorial uses a different case study or project and the tutor is asked to create a page for their class with information and activities relevant to their case study. We do not want students to access other tutors pages.

Proposed solution:

Replace the 'Publish At' functionality on Pages with the 'Assign To' functionality that is currently on Assignments and Quizzes. It should default to 'Everyone' and today's date. This option is well know and will not need significant additional training resources. By defaulting to 'Everyone' and today's date most page creators can ignore it. Pages can be assigned to specific Sections, or be released at different times for different sections, with easy and known process.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,designer