[People] Sort Students in People List: Course

@people list is alphabetical by last names, which is not helpful. Please add sorting function by "First Name", "Section", "last Activity" and "Total Activity". All other tabular lists should be sort-able as well.

Add Group to the columns and Sort by group is needed as well. Jan 26, 2018 @kristine Hansen @dale Anne Davidson

Profile Picture Name Login ID SIS ID Section Role Last Activity Total Activity

The sorting function has been available in Proctorio Exam Results for a while.

When will the Canvas development team pay their attention to this as a production priority because an overall sorting function is required for ALL tabular lists in Canvas!!

93 Comments
mbennet2
Community Novice

It would be very helpful for me to be able to sort people in the "People" tab by most recent activity and by section. Thank you!

dwillis768
Community Novice

It would be nice if there were a way to filter "People" so that I could look at course participation by crosslisted section.  It would really help with attendance to just see the kids enrolled in each individual section. 

ealeksan
Community Member

It would be really helpful for instructors to be able to sort the People page by Total Activity & Last Activity. Being able to "message students who..." would be even more helpful, to light a fire for students who haven't been pulling their weight in online courses. 

DavidSchlater
Community Participant

Users should be allowed to click any of the headings on the People page to sort. For instructors, clicking on "Last Activity" or "Total Activity" should sort on that column.

james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

74 comments and I am only the 19th to give it 5 stars? That seems suspect. Why doesn't it include all of the votes from the previous ideas that have basically been the same?

cohofosho
Community Member

Yes! This is a must for managing classes with multiple sections.

Sandie
Community Participant

Wow this post was submitted on 2018 and still no new development. I agree we will need more filters in People page especially helpful if you can add "sections" (we don't use groups so for the others may be  "groups"), "enrolment methods"(we want to don't if any users have been manually enrolled)

How can I vote? I dont see the vote button.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Sandie  Members can rate an idea by clicking the star modal at the top of the description, as detailed in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community? 

Sandie
Community Participant

Thanks @Stef_retired 

Voted

lshved
Community Explorer

THANK YOU FOR SUBMITTING THIS REQUEST!  

When will Canvas people pay attention to this?   This request has been around for more than 3.5 years and there are many other similar posts out there.  

ANY tabular lists should be sortable and should have filtering options.  I want to sort People lists by section, or last login date, or time spent, etc.  None of this is currently possible!  It takes a lot of time to get through a list of 150 students, for example, to find the information you need when you need it.  I would rather use that time in a more productive way.