Permission Definition Highlighting

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-07)

As a Canvas administrator, when I am looking at the "Additional Considerations" of a given permission, I sometimes find it difficult to distinguish regular text compared to the name of the permission that is being referenced.  Here is an example:

Permissions_highlighting.jpg

Using this as an example for other course/account level permissions, I would like to see the headings under "Additional Considerations" a bit larger in size.  Then, maybe bold the other permissions within the paragraph that are being referenced.  So, it might look something like this:

Admin Tools (Restore Courses tab)
To search for a course in the Restore Courses tab, Course Content - view must also be enabled. To restore a deleted course in an account, Courses - add / edit / delete, Course Content - view, and Courses - undelete must all be enabled.

I imagine that something similar might be a good idea for the "What It Does" section of permissions, too.

9 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

DanBurgess
Community Participant

Good suggestion and perhaps something the developers can easily implement. 
@Chris_Hofer, thanks for taking the time to put this forth.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

I've been working on some small changes that can give us some quick results. One thing I've done is change the sidebar headings to be in all caps, and then the descriptions have been broken out so each sentence is a new paragraph.

Here are some examples of what those changes look like. They'll make the sidebar more easily scannable. 

This change will be available in production no later than July 7.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 5.15.02 PM.png

  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Formatting has been updated in the Permissions sidebar. This change provides better scannability among permissions content.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-07-07)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed