[Permissions] In Permissions, Separate "Add, edit and delete events on the course calendar" into 3 permissions

Please change each the "Add, edit and delete events on the course calendar" from a single setting to three separate settings.

Current:

Add, edit and delete events on the course calendar

Should become:

• Add events on the course calendar
  • Edit events on the course calendar
  • Delete events on the course calendar

Per Cosme Salazar in More granular permissions for admins and In Permissions, Change "ADD, EDIT, and DELETE" into Three Separate Settings I have divided out the multiple functionality settings into their own requests. There are now 10 separate requests.

Comments from Instructure

We have exciting news about the first phase of the Priority: Granular Permissions‌.  The New User Interface is included in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .  Go check it out!

Added to Theme

14 Comments
elisabeth_green
Community Participant

Another good option for teaching assistants so they can't accidentally delete something...

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is interesting. I'd love to know more about how often TAs are editing or adding events to the Calendar? How often does this happen and in what context? Can you tell me of a time when a TA has inadvertently deleted an event from the course calendar and it's had a negative impact on the course? What happened? How did you discover that it happened? And what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for giving me more insight around this request! Ooh and Happy Halloween!

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

It depends on the classes. We have a course here of 1600 students (crosslisted) and there are 8 TAs (one per section). Currently we have all these abilities turned off and the TA cannot use the Calendar. But, some teachers want their TAs to be able to add events to the calendar but not Delete. Or Edit an entry if the teacher is not handling that particular assignment/discussion etc that has a note on the calendar (like a study group).

BROEKERC
Community Novice

Rationale: this functionality is needed as faculty have requested that their TAs be able to add or calendar items but they don't want TAs to delete calendar items. This is also needed in courses where there are multiple faculty. Having this functionality would eliminate the accidental calendar deletions that happen now. We had this incident in our nursing program as we have multiple faculty teaching the course and one of the faculty did not realize deleting the item removed it from everyones view.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

We had this issue last semester, but with a TA who didn't realize deleting a quiz calendar item from his calendar would actually delete the quiz itself.

cdoherty
Community Participant

Rationale for Stanford: It's important to allow TAs to create content, but to restrict the delete permission to prevent accidental deletion of content.

millerjm
Community Champion

We have some clinical faculty who may need to be able to add to a calendar, but not edit or delete existing content - especially since this could delete a quiz or

We have instructional support staff who may need to be able to add or edit the calendar but not delete. 

Taking away the delete button from anyone who doesn't need it just makes sense, especially since it would affect the students in a course.  We have a lot of accidental deletions that happen due to "goblins" in team taught courses. 

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, everyone for your comments. I will archive this idea for now. But the big takeaway here is that the DELETE permission should generally exist apart from the CREATE and EDIT permissions. Lesson learned and we'll see how we might apply that principle going forward.

p.s. Interesting how similar this request is to

millerjm
Community Champion

We need some support for our case that the permissions available in Canvas are not sufficient for our needs.  Above is the update that Allison Weiss posted to many of our feature ideas.  She is asking for use cases for granularity and we really need to justify each and every one.  I made a document to track discussions and feature ideas related to permissions: 

Canvas Permissions and Granularity Feature Ideas

This is the sort of information that would assist in getting these changes made during this permissions audit.  This information would need to be added as comments to the individual feature ideas, and if it needs to be pasted to more than one, then please do that.  I know it's tiresome to post the same thing again and again, even though someone else has already done it, but they need to see that it's not just 5 people with these issues!  We haven't gotten much traction because we haven't had enough use cases posted but my document above seems to have gotten some attention.

• What has the current user permissions "bundling" and lack of granularity cost you in terms of support and functionality?
  • What permissions have you HAD to grant to someone simply to allow them to be able to do their job, that you would have rather NOT given?
  • What permissions have you had to DENY giving someone because it gave them access to something that you could not due to security, concern about causing trouble, etc.?
  • What other qualms do you have about things?
  • What things have cost you more in staff hours because of denying access to someone, means that your department had to research, do work, etc, on behalf of a user that would have been able to do their work if the permissions were granular?

Thank you!

Joni

I'm also tagging  @kona ​ and cms_hickss​  since they have been so involved in getting attention to these feature ideas. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...