Quiz Question Numbering in Edit Mode

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31931_QuestionNumberingInLearningStudio.jpgQuestionNumberingInLearningStudio.jpg

When editing a quiz with many questions (25+ questions), we cannot see the question numbers.  They do appear, however, when previewing the quiz.  When editing questions, this makes it very difficult to search for a question.  We would have to search for the text using Ctrl+F to find the question we are looking to edit.  The work-around to manually type in the question number in the title field of the question is not great.  What if you have to add a question in the middle later on?  Then you have to manually re-number all of your questions.

The Technical College where I work recently moved from Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio platform to Canvas.  In LearningStudio, the question numbers are visible in editing mode.  The screen shot I've included shows where question numbers are displayed.  When I click on a "+" sign next to any question, I have the ability to edit it.

Please add question numbers to quizzes when in the Edit mode.  If it matters, this idea had 53 votes in the old Community forum since 11/8/2012.  Thank you for considering.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
29 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@michael9 ​...

Instructure is currently working on a brand new quizzing engine (release date not yet announced) that will include question numbers when editing quiz questions.  You might want to check out these resources:

Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

Quizzes.Next: Modern Quizzing in Canvas

michael9
Community Novice

Thanks for the info, Chris.

jasonpauljohnst
Community Participant

I know you can't vote on these anymore, but please Canvas add this feature to the new Modern Quizzing Engine.

jnageldinger
Community Novice

Having just created a quiz with 113 questions, I'd like to echo Jason above. PLEASE Canvas, do your magic and make this easier for us.

jessica_suedbec
Community Novice

I was just about to make this suggestion.  As a new user to Canvas, this was something I needed MANY times!  Would be super helpful!

rjf227
Community Participant

This functionality is essential and I'm sort of surprised that it's not part of Canvas functionality.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rjf227 ...

This InstructureCon video is from 2016, but it will show you an example of the new Modern Quiz Engine that Instructure has been working on.

If you take a look at around the 8-minute mark of this video, Deactivated user‌ starts building a quiz with questions, and each question is numbered.  So...this is good news!

rjf227
Community Participant

Thank you.  I checked out that video previously and it is encouraging.  Of course, the release date of the new quiz engine seems shrouded in mystery ... and I (as well as many in this community) are faced with the reality that our instructors have to deliver quizzes with the current quiz engine.  And when you scale this to courses with enrollments above 1000 students (which represents 5 courses that I personally support, the current tool is simply inadequate and there aren't any workarounds.  I'm not trying to be negative.  I am, however, concerned about the number of hours we've had to invest simply to deliver and grade/regrade quizzes.  It is not sustainable.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@rjf227 ‌

This idea is confirmed as part of the Priority: Quizzes.Next‌.  You can also take a look at some of guides in the Quizzes LTI User Group‌.  They show some of the features that are currently available in the limited beta experience right now.

jmc6
Community Novice

This "voting" thing is a waste of time. The original post was way back in 2015 and it is still not fixed, even though there are over 50 votes for it! This should NOT be something difficult to program and is badly needed.