Quiz Question Numbering in Edit Mode

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31931_QuestionNumberingInLearningStudio.jpgQuestionNumberingInLearningStudio.jpg

When editing a quiz with many questions (25+ questions), we cannot see the question numbers.  They do appear, however, when previewing the quiz.  When editing questions, this makes it very difficult to search for a question.  We would have to search for the text using Ctrl+F to find the question we are looking to edit.  The work-around to manually type in the question number in the title field of the question is not great.  What if you have to add a question in the middle later on?  Then you have to manually re-number all of your questions.

The Technical College where I work recently moved from Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio platform to Canvas.  In LearningStudio, the question numbers are visible in editing mode.  The screen shot I've included shows where question numbers are displayed.  When I click on a "+" sign next to any question, I have the ability to edit it.

Please add question numbers to quizzes when in the Edit mode.  If it matters, this idea had 53 votes in the old Community forum since 11/8/2012.  Thank you for considering.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
29 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jmc6 ...

The good news is that this Feature Idea I submitted 2 1/2 years ago is now in development...most likely as part of the new Quizzing engine that Instructure has been actively building from the ground up.  This past Summer, Deactivated user‌ previewed more of the new Quizzing engine in a presentation at InstructureCon 2017: ‌.  You'll see from his presentation that questions are indeed numbered as you edit...so this is good news.  Although I'm not aware of any release date for all of us waiting for the new Quizzes (I don't think anything has been formally announced), I've heard rumblings of sometime early this year (?).  Whatever the date may be, I am looking forward to the new interface and all the new features it has.

jasonpauljohnst
Community Participant

I would agree that there are a few things that seem like "no-brainers" to me (more a fix than new feature) that shouldn't have to go through a long, crowd-acceptance process like this. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jmc6  &  @jasonpauljohnst  

Thank you for your input, and sorry that you feel you are wasting your time.  I think this thread actually proves the opposite.  Relative to other threads, 50 votes is pretty low, yet this idea was used to inform the New Quizzes LTI tool.  

The New Quizzing engine is ready and available for anyone to use now.  Visit the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes?sr=search&searchId=ee1f92ce-5bc8-469f-a1c0-3738ddf15c...‌ to find more information on how to access it.

The feature idea process is not a popularity contest, or a crowd-acceptance process of any kind.  If we call it anything it would be an open communication process.  We like to hear from all users directly, not limiting or putting greater importance on input based on the title of the person submitting it.  We do use the votes to help in validation as we go through prioritization activities, but we also look at the demographics behind the data.  

I do have an official statement to share on the perspective of "no-brainer".  You can find the full context in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4396-what-is-the-feature-development-process-for-canvas 

Perhaps it might be. However, there may be a few reasons why it’s not as simple as you may think. First, behaviors commonly overlap, and sometimes that other behavior may be more complex (which you may not be able to see). Creating the right solution that resolves overlapping behaviors takes a little more time. Second, when you unpackage a component of the core product (e.g. discussions) and make changes, there may be a ripple effect to these enhancements that needs to be tested and assessed for quality assurance, documented, and communicated to all Canvas users. There are efficiencies inherent in making several changes at one time rather than constantly changing all components with equal frequency. Also, sometimes a simple change cannot be made until another, more complicated component is updated.

Let me know if you have any other questions about process or accessing the new Quiz tool.  We look forward to you're continued participation in helping us make Canvas awesome!

jasonpauljohnst
Community Participant

Perhaps I should have used a different term rather than "no-brainer." Obviously there are a lot of brainy people working for Canvas. I love Canvas and tell people everyday how it is the best LMS in the world. However, sometimes there are fixes that seem very obvious to some of us who are using Canvas as admins day in and day out. Putting numbers on questions when you are editing is one of those fixes. Ask any person who has had to make a quiz with more than 5 questions if they would prefer or not prefer to have numbers on the questions. Add a toggle feature so if the numbers create a ripple effect the user can turn them off. This just feels like more of a work-flow fix than a feature to me...but maybe it's just me. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. And looking forward to the new Quiz tool! 

However, I do think "long, crowd-acceptance process" is correct - quoted from https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2109-how-does-the-voting-process-work-for-feature-ideas

Ideas are open for six months. Following six months, ideas in the top 10th percentile of vote will remain in the general forum.  Ideas in the bottom 90th percentile will be archived and moved out of the general forum, which makes room for new ideas. The archive process will occur monthly, on the first Wednesday of each month.

This idea was posted almost three years ago now and is currently in development. This is a long process! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme