Release Feedback and Marks (Grades) separately (Assignments)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18) 

All research on feedback indicates that it's most effective when not accompanied by marks (grades) (Dylan Wiliam, most notably).

When making assignments, I would like to be able to return Marks (Grades) and Comments/Feedback separately after marking. Could the mute function be configured to allow to mute/unmute these individually rather than together?

18 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For assignments with a manual posting policy, comments can be posted without requiring a grade. For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18) 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

timothy.french6 Thank You for sharing this idea, as well as jane.ritalampi Thank You adam_engel Thank You  @RobDitto  Thank You  @lauren_sayer  Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

liamstakelum
Community Member

Hi Stefanie, 

The way I read this, it means teachers can not put a grade AND a comment, and only release the comment? I am trying to find a way to limit how much extra work teachers will need to do. Posting only a comment, and then coming back later to put the grades in is  "double-dipping". Do you know if there is a way to input everything into the speedgrader (grade/score, comment, rubric) and then release only the comment?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@liamstakelum ‌, the functionality as designed allows the instructor to release comments for submissions that have not been assigned grades, or to release comments along with posted grades. The feature idea requesting additional granularity is currently active at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15738-post-annotations-and-grades-separately" modifiedtitle="t....

liamstakelum
Community Member

Thanks Stefanie,

In trawling through the threads about this issue, it seems like it has been a request for a while now. How likely is it to get any traction? How many  "votes" does it need before it is considered?

My worry with the work around is that it doesn't actually show an understanding of the teaching and marking process used by most teachers. Adding further steps into the cycle would more than likely prevent it being taken up by teachers,

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @liamstakelum ‌, ideas are prioritized according to the process outlined in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14905-75187841185 and  How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?‌, and there is no absolute vote total that moves an idea into consideration.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed