Remind 101 Integration

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Integration for Remind 101 into Canvas can be very beneficial to our teachers because many of them already use it and being able to access it from Canvas would improve student and teacher communication.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Encourage Student Engagement With Remind blog post.

16 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi eellis

This sounds like a great potential integration.  I have never used this tool, but I have heard a lot about it.  We do want to give people an opportunity to vote on this however because this is not Core Canvas it is an external tool that we may not take on, even if it receives a high quantity of votes.

I am going to share it with the Canvas Developers​ group in case one of our amazing community developers wants a fun project!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just a reminder that this idea will open for vote on August 5th, which is one week from tomorrow.

sworrell
Community Novice

I use Remind extensively and would LOVE for Canvas and Remind to play nice together!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has been taken out of the Cold Storage and is opening for vote as part of the new Partner Integration ideas‌ space.  Find out more about this process in the New: Partner Integration Idea Process‌ blog post!

charon_davis
Community Novice

I think Remind would be a great feature added to Canvas.  A lot of teachers I know use Remind because of it's ability to also receive and send SMS messages and being able to access this from one platform would be great.

sworrell
Community Novice

I need Remind to send messages to my different course sections because Canvas will not. Announcements go out to all course sections and there is no logical way to send section specific messages in Canvas.

ingemar_lopez
Community Member

I agree that Canvas need to be more flexible if it is to become the preferred tool for learning institutions. I understand Google being too big to care about suggestions, but Canvas is not free for schools districts or colleges/universities. That is why so many teachers hate being forced to use it.

Why continue to make it so hard for teachers???

It is my hope that this is seriously considered and that steps are taken to implement it immediately. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ingemar_lopez  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Canvas welcomes integrations with third parties, and we have an extensive Edu App Center; you can read more about that at How do I use the Canvas App Center in a course? . Creating an integration with a third-party vendor requires not only cooperation but also a commitment and development resources from the third party—we cannot do it alone—so if this is something that you'd like to see present in Canvas, please make your wishes known to Remind if you haven't yet.

ingemar_lopez
Community Member

Thank you for the welcome, Stefanie. After an exhaustive search I found a resource online to help with having Remind and Canvas work without having teachers do any programming or requiring the involved and complex process of third party "cooperation but also a commitment and development resources from the third party". Some genius at St. Mark's wrote some code that converts the Remind widget into an iFrame format which is supported by Canvas. It is so easy this way. Just paste the Remind widget into the space he provides, push the convert button, and just copy the iFrame code to paste it to Canvas.

This is where it is   https://helpdesk.stmarksschool.org/how-do-i-embed-a-remind-com-widget-in-canvas/#comment-7611  Or search Google for "How do I embed a Remind.com widget in Canvas? by Mr. Battis".  Here's a preview of his page:

266132_pastedImage_2.png

I hope this is of assistance to teachers who do use Remind and Canvas until Canvas is able to have the same type of service available.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for providing the results of your research,  @ingemar_lopez ! The feature idea under consideration is for a Remind integration; as you've learned, it is currently possible to use embed code to display Remind on a Canvas page, and a different solution, also using an iframe, is provided atEmbedding Remind Widget into Canvas Page