[Rubrics] Ability for Students (and Ts) to see Rubric for an External Tool Assignment, on the assignment page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas LMS

For any native Canvas assignment, when a rubric is added, students can automatically see the rubric right below the assignment details.

However -- when a Rubric is added to an External tool assignment (you have to add it before adding the tool, or follow the work around mentioned in other posts), the rubric does not appear at the bottom of the Assignment page -- neither for the teacher or students.  This can be confusing for teachers because they think the rubric didn't get attached -- they have to go to Speedgrader to see it there, which is great.  And students would have to be instructed to leave the Assignment, go to Grades, click the assignment name, and click on View Rubric to see the rubric.

Please make this change so the rubric can be viewed along with the assignment.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@Hildi_Pardo 

Thanks for sharing this idea, Hildi. As it moves forward for broader discussion, we encourage members to also support the long-standing request regarding assignments of the external tool type and rubrics:  LTI External Tools - Ability to Add Rubric.

michelle_nunale
Community Member

I'd like to be able to add and see rubrics and due dates for assignments using external tools the same way I can add and view them for other assignments. I am aware of the workaround of adding the rubric before selecting the external tool, but this is a hassle and does not seem necessary. I also don't understand why I can't view the due dates without clicking Edit. I'd like to be able to add a rubric after selecting the external tool, see the rubric, and see the due dates. 

jason_waltz
Community Participant

Currently, Canvas for Elementary hides rubrics from student view for assignments with external tool submissions. This is an odd omission and can cause frustration for teachers, students and parents. There is a workaround for this. I will concede it is less than elegant but most workarounds are.

If the teacher navigates to the assignment submission page, they can use the last bit of the URL (example in red below) and share that with the student(s). Once students include that in their URL, the hidden page is revealed along with the rubric and comments. 

Example (characters replaced with * for security purposes)

https://*****.instructure.com/courses/****/assignments/******/submissions/****

This seems like an oversight which should be easy enough for Instructure to remedy.

ybakos
Community Member
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2023-06-21)