[Rubrics] Assignment Rubric auto-save

Several times I have been working on an assignment rubric, then switch back to the assignment to add some detail or make some other edit. I do this, of course, without thinking about the fact that rubric is a separate thing from the assignment and that I must save it before editing the assignment, destroyed all of the changes I'd made to the rubric. 

A prompt box to save the rubric before it lets you navigate away would be one solution, or having an auto-save feature so that your work is not lost for good is another. 

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

12 Comments
awc
Community Member
Problem statement:

SpeedGrader loses all input entered into a rubric (including both scores and comments) if an internet connection is lost or unstable. This can cost instructors a significant amount of time and require that an instructor grade an assignment twice, particularly if detailed feedback is entered into a rubric.

Proposed solution:

Canvas should AutoSave input into SpeedGrader rubrics, similar to the manner in which student quiz answers are saved as a quiz progresses. This way, if an internet connection is lost or is unstable, an instructor will not lose their work.

User role(s):

instructor

PeterSercombe
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

When entering data into a rubric (e.g. selecting marks or adding comments to a criterion), if the user navigates to the next student before clicking 'save' (or accidentally presses the 'r' key, which closes the rubric interface) then all data and comments entered into the rubric are lost. Some of the confusion is due to markers entering results into the rubric, then adding a submission comment beneath & clicking 'submit', thinking that this is also saving the changes to the rubric. Some markers worked through 25+ assignments without realising their marks had not been saved. Steps to replicate: - Create an assignment with an associated rubric in a course with multiple students. - Go to mark assignments in speed-grader - On the first student, click 'show rubric' and enter results into the rubric. DO NOT click 'save' at the end of the rubric. - Click on the 'next' arrow, or type 'n' to navigate to the next student. - Navigate back to the previous student. - The previously entered results are lost.

Proposed solution:

The user should be asked to save changes before the navigation to the next student is allowed, or results should auto-save and not require clicking on 'save' at the end of the rubric. A listener should be implemented to determine if the user is attempting to move to the next student before they have saved the results. An existing safety mechanism exists for navigational changes away from the page entirely (e.g., closing the tab). However, moving to the next student does not create a navigation away from the page, rather it is dynamically loading content within the same page. Hence, this safety mechanism is insufficient.

User role(s):

instructor