[Rubrics] Editing Capabilities for Rubrics

I would like to see some additional options for Rubrics.  Specifically, it would be nice to be able to:

• Insert a new rubric row anywhere within an existing rubric.
  • Drag and drop an existing rubric row to another location in the same rubric.

Use case: I was building a rubric with 40+ rows for an instructor.  After about the 40th row of the rubric, I realized I had forgotten to add a criterion around row 20.  So, I had to delete rows 21 and beyond...insert the row I missed, and then re-add the rows I had initially added.  I soon learned you have to be really careful when building rubrics with lots of rows.

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

298 Comments
jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

This has been a feature request for seven years - can something finally be done about it?  I know there are workarounds, but finding ways to manage rubrics efficiently should be a priority!

aeagle
Community Explorer

Yes! This was written in 2015. It's 2022 and this is still an issue! I know that Canvas is redesigning and adding features, but these little minor details are what make the big difference. 

aeagle
Community Explorer

Also, I literally do not see a way to upvote this idea. The only thing I can do is give it stars. There are no thumbs up/down buttons. 

James
Community Champion

@aeagle, with the new Community software, there are not up/down votes anymore. You show your support or opposition by giving it stars.

aeagle
Community Explorer

@James thank you. I think I have done so? I clicked on the 5th star, but the interface didn't give me any feedback as to whether or not my click was submitted. If Canvas has control over this software, it may be helpful for the stars to stay gold once we've made our selection or for there to be a little message that says "feedback submitted."

It did occur to me to click the "50" next to the stars to see if my name was listed, but that was a little cumbersome and was not entirely intuitive. Additionally, the star-rating system is a little vague. Perhaps, in addition to some type of feedback when stars are registered, there can be a little message above the stars stating, "use the rating system to show support for this feature idea"

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@aeagle -

When you look at the post again (I don't know if it shows up after clicking on the star),

Your vote is listed below the title.

d00303500
Community Novice
I have added criterion to a rubric and want to reorder the sequence. I cannot find a way to do this without redoing the entire rubric. Please add this feature for easy of reordering a rubric criterion sequence.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@d00303500 -

go to this part of the conversation.  Although Canvas does not provide a way to do what you want, one of the Community members has written a javascript that does do what you want.

singerfreeman
Community Novice

I agree

AlanNgim
Community Member

Yes, please!