[Rubrics] Editing Rubrics Linked to Multiple Assignments

Problem statement:

In order to edit a rubric attached to multiple assignments, you have to delink the rubric to achieve a 1-to-1 ratio between the assignment and rubric. Then, you can edit the rubric. Once you have completed your edits, you have to relink the rubric to all assignments. In addition, you have to edit the rubric for each assignment to ensure you select all the settings like "use for assignment grading" are checked.

Proposed solution:

Enable rubrics attached to multiple assignments to be edited without having to delink these rubrics. All of our discussions use the same rubric and all our courses utilize discussions. Because of the number of assignments (and discussions) that share the same rubric, utilizing the ability to edit regardless of the 1-to-1 ratio would save loads of time and hassle.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,ta,designer

Added to Theme

Improved rubric creation and usability Theme Status: In Development

12 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

meganraby
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

I need to edit a rubric that I have used for daily reflection Discussion Board posts in past years. But when I try to edit it I get the response "You can't edit this rubric, either because you don't have permission or it's being used in more than one place. Any changes you make will result in a new rubric based on the old rubric. Continue anyway?" The assignments are already there, throughout my course, with the old rubric. I imported last year's version as I prepare for the start of this semester's classes, but need to very slightly modify the wording of the rubric I've used in the past. I do not want to have to click over and over to change all of those. It seems unacceptable that I need to create a new rubric, delete the old one some 30 times, and then add the new one to each of those similar assignments. To be clear, the semester has not started yet, so no student has been graded with this rubric yet this year in this course.

Proposed solution:

Why can't I edit the base rubric? If I could edit the rubric that is attached to multiple assignments, it would save me hours of work (and wrist strain from clicking over and over again).

User role(s):

instructor