Screen Capture on Chromebooks via Studio (Arc)

Many school districts offer Chromebooks to students, our included. And one way that many teachers collect evidence of student learning is by having the students record what is on their screens - presentations, solving math problems, scores from formative assessment tools, digital source collection, and so on.

As a result, students cannot currently screen capture their Chromebooks via Studio since the recording software is the professional version of ScreenCastOMatic, which runs a .exe file, which cannot be run on Chromebooks. 

I propose that the developers at Canvas work with the developers at ScreenCastOMatic in creating a Chromebook-friendly way to screen capture. Sure, the students could just use a 3rd party tool like ScreenCasitfy, a nifty and robust Chrome extension. But if we are trying to keep our students engaged in Canvas and maximize the features of Studio, then a Chromebook-friendly method of screen capturing needs to be created.

Thank you for reading and I hope you vote positively vote for this Canvas enhancement.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Studio Release Notes (2021-03-30).

54 Comments
sself
Community Member

We are moving all teachers to Chromebooks in January!  Please make Studio record screens!!!!!

Riversilver
Community Novice

We really need this feature as we have swapped teacher computers to Chromeos. 

patti_eaves
Community Member

This would be helpful to teachers and students using Chromebooks and want to stay within Canvas to record their screen in Studio.

jennifer_lyles
Community Member

This would be very useful for teachers. It would simplify their planning time.

davilg
Community Member

Agreed wholeheartedly! Please make this a viable option for Spring 2020 and beyond! 

diana17988
Community Member

Please make studio compatible with chromebooks.

MsKRamos
Community Member

Adding the Screen Capture option to Chromebooks is an absolute necessity. We should not have to send our students and teachers to a different app when there's one available to Mac & Windows users within Canvas itself. 40+ million Chromebooks in schools should not be ignored.

cwweaver
Community Novice

Yes!!!  As a teacher, I bought a bigger chromebook for work because all our assignments are Google based.  I can only use the screen capture mode to make videos at work on my "traditional" desktop.  This gives me limited access since I can't be in my classroom over the week-end.  I want to make videos for my students giving them feedback on their essays but must at school to do so.  I am surprised that an otherwise robust tool for education can't function at such a seemingly basic level for chromebooks.

maricica
Community Member

This would definitely be very helpful for students to record presentations to send to their teachers. Please consider adding this capability for Chromebooks!

SkylannAllen
Community Member

It would be extremely helpful (and logical) to make all capabilities of the site available for all computers. I cannot afford to buy a new computer in order to make sure I can use all the capabilities for my classes. It does not make sense that some people with certain computers are able to complete their course work and others are not. It would be highly useful to me (and I am sure many others) to be able to ScreenCapture and use the same capabilities as the rest of my classmates.