Screen Capture on Chromebooks via Studio (Arc)

Many school districts offer Chromebooks to students, our included. And one way that many teachers collect evidence of student learning is by having the students record what is on their screens - presentations, solving math problems, scores from formative assessment tools, digital source collection, and so on.

As a result, students cannot currently screen capture their Chromebooks via Studio since the recording software is the professional version of ScreenCastOMatic, which runs a .exe file, which cannot be run on Chromebooks. 

I propose that the developers at Canvas work with the developers at ScreenCastOMatic in creating a Chromebook-friendly way to screen capture. Sure, the students could just use a 3rd party tool like ScreenCasitfy, a nifty and robust Chrome extension. But if we are trying to keep our students engaged in Canvas and maximize the features of Studio, then a Chromebook-friendly method of screen capturing needs to be created.

Thank you for reading and I hope you vote positively vote for this Canvas enhancement.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Studio Release Notes (2021-03-30).

54 Comments
agarbacik
Community Member

This is a very large need as our entire district uses Chromebook for students.  Studio is a great tool but having limited functionality on the Chromebook is disappointing.  

tfuger
Community Member

Screencast-O-Matic released a functional version for Chromebooks back in April. Is there an ETA or at lease In-Process update for this request when it will be available as a part of Studio?

rmarker
Community Explorer

As others have said, this is a critical need for students! Some of the best assessment is listening to students share their thinking or explain a concept. We need them to be able to do this while capturing their screen so they can show their work! 

jamieprice
Community Member

Critical need.  Without it, the perceived value of Canvas in the classrooms by students and faculty is severely lessened.

AH12
Community Novice

This would be of extreme benefit to both myself and students. 

tinakoch
Community Member

Yes, students will need to display their work and show their learning by being able to record themselves and share their work. 

sandmael
Community Novice

Yes, please! It would be wonderful and a gamechanger for students!

YosefScott
Community Novice

I use this type of feature daily on a PC. It should be supported on chromebooks as well

anderscy
Community Novice

All of of our students use chromebooks, so adding this feature would be super helpful.

beckerge
Community Member

The screen recorder option on Chromebooks is an essential one for the online learning reality.