[SpeedGrader] Allow Annotations to Text Entry Submissions in SpeedGrader

For basic skills and ESL students, uploading files is a barrier in and of itself. They can do text entry; teachers need to be able to annotate writing line by line. Add annotations to text entry boxes, please! Normally students with such low tech skills would not need to submit things online in the first place. Due to the pandemic, we are in desperate need of a much more simplified (yet centralized and easy to grade/give feedback on) submission method.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

38 Comments
sbolman1
Community Explorer

I agree that this feature is very important.  I don't understand why every other submission type allows comment but not the text submission.

PaulAustinTx
Community Participant

The text entry flow is ideal to prepare students for exam essay prompts used in higher education and reflects communication common to emails and other professional communication workflows. How often do you share a 150 word idea on you team through a google doc attachment to an email?

So from a student perspective, the text entry is ideal. However, from an instructors perspective it removes the precision annotation tools.  The plagiarism framework supports attachment and text entry it would help fro annotations to do the same. 

Another 5 start vote here.  Thank you all!

EsciProf
Community Member

Agree with all the reasons above. This would make my life a lot easier.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

JedKeenan
Community Participant
Problem statement:

Dear Sir/Madam, Marked-up feedback is critical but it is not provided in the Online Text Entry submission type. Why use text entry submissions in Assignments at all? This is the email from an esteemed faculty member that I need to response for: Thank you for all your help. This leaves me frustrated. I thought things like in-text exam marking would have been sorted? I have up to now always marked exams either via Turnitin or via Adobe in-text. I am copying in my HOF Law and my internal moderator who ought to be aware of this. Since I have laid the weekend aside to mark 42 exam papers, I will press on otherwise I do not meet deadlines, with the next 42 exam papers (Public Law) arriving in my Canvas inbox soon. Generally I think you ought to send a message to all faculty markers that there can be no in-text marking of exam papers. This might come as unwelcome news to some - certainly the external examiners who would wish to see some in-text mark-ups. As external examiner I certainly would not like to receive 'unmarked' exam papers when it comes to sample moderation. Any help for me in responding to this expectation of basic functionality is appreciated. Yours faithfully, Jed Keenan

Proposed solution:

Add a mark-up functionality to the Assignment Online Text Entry submission type.

User role(s):

instructor

JedKeenan
Community Participant

Why is all formatting from this post removed?

May I get meta and suggest providing a basic HTML content editor, like the one that is presented for comments, available for the original post?

🙄 Jed Keenan

AudreyKeating
Community Member
Problem statement:

when students upload text entry replies to an assignment, their is only the comments box on the right hand side to make comments. It would be more useful to have the same facility that document/files have to identify and comment on specific areas. Text entries sometimes are added for a more secure assignment and sometimes used in closed book assessments.

Proposed solution:

To have the same functionality for text entry submissions as file submissions

User role(s):

admin